1756-OA16 internal fuse

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
On an out of town startup and through the night one of 1756-OA16 cards blew a fuse on a group of 8 outputs. Traced problem back to faulty Neutral on a coil in an MCC starter.

Having a heck of a time getting info on the LittleFuse H2153.15 that Rockwell use in these cards. No supplier carries them. Anyone know of a more common equivalent?

For now the customer is running affected motors via a HAND - OFF - AUTO switch. Tomorrow they will give me downtime to pull out the 1756-OA16 and look at the fuse.

In the 13+ years I have been using Clgx, never had a fuse blow.

We treat everything lesser than 1771 I/O as disposable at that level of damage. It is good to know that you need to plan for spares in groups of 8, though...

And we fuse outputs mostly individually, but sometimes in groups of 8 or 16 at the common for the group. Definitely add a fuse there to protect that group at least.

Last edited:
The fuse is 215 series, 3.15 amps. Can't find info on the H prefix.
I don't see any reason why the fuse should be exotic. Ceramic body for flame/rupture resistance, and slow blow.
Check the specs on this one at Mouser.

Module has two fuses 3.15A 5x20mm slow blow.
One fuse is visible, second is in the middle of the board hard to get

1756-OA16 Fuses

Hi All:
Depending on which version of OA16 you have (2.x or 3.x) changing the fuse in the centre of the card can be easy or hard.
The 2.x is just a matter of removing the 2 screws on the side plate and replacing the fuse.
The version 3.x though is not anywhere as easy.
I ended up doing a YouTube video on it.
Info on the fuse is included in the video and comments.

It may be 10 years old, but the newer OA16 modules are a bear to change the centre fuse in.
Things change especially with AB and not always for the better....🔨

I watched an interesting video on YouTube where companies now create products where obsolescence is planned for, rather than making a product that lasts forever, in order to keep up profits and keep the business afloat.

Maybe this is why newer electronics are more flimsy and don't last as long as the older ones did.

It was a sad video to watch, but seems like much truth was revealed.

Alive15 - I agree with you that the older equipment was built to a higher standard in order to last.
The original 1771 series was built to US Mil Spec and designed to last 80 years.

The new 'stuff' that AB / Rockwell is putting out is only designed to last 7 to 10 years in the same situation.
Sad for sure.

Alive15 - I agree with you that the older equipment was built to a higher standard in order to last.
The original 1771 series was built to US Mil Spec and designed to last 80 years.

The new 'stuff' that AB / Rockwell is putting out is only designed to last 7 to 10 years in the same situation.
Sad for sure.

Always seems a shame to pull out PLC-5 hardware and replace it with ControlLogix, the 1771 stuff was built like a tank. I know you can always replace just the processor and still use the PLC-5 I/O with the Logix processor (I do this often), but I still feel like I'm putting a weak link into the system.

Always seems a shame to pull out PLC-5 hardware and replace it with ControlLogix, the 1771 stuff was built like a tank. I know you can always replace just the processor and still use the PLC-5 I/O with the Logix processor (I do this often), but I still feel like I'm putting a weak link into the system.
It is built like and still runs well in most situations today. New - bright and shiny is not always the best.
Fast processors will not make the cleanup conveyor in the basement run any better.

I watched an interesting video on YouTube where companies now create products where obsolescence is planned for, rather than making a product that lasts forever, in order to keep up profits and keep the business afloat.

Yes, it seems all companies use the heroin dealer business model: get the consumer hooked on the product and in order to maintain an ongoing need of the next fix as the previous fix runs out.

Yes, it seems all companies use the heroin dealer business model: get the consumer hooked on the product and in order to maintain an ongoing need of the next fix as the previous fix runs out.

If you think that's crazy, just start reading up on the lightbulb mafia and how the products were downgraded and made worse to ensure enough bulbs were sold per year. companies would fine each other internally for breaking the deals of making a lightbulb that would last longer than the agreed upon amount of time.

There's an interesting thought, a friend of mine is a tech junkie, currently he is into small cameras i.e. equivelent to the go pros etc. he has purchased many types from pin hole, Wifi, cameras with charging banks and ones with waterproof casings (used them for seeing where the fish are when fishing).
He has a go pro but will not use it for fishing in case he loses it, nearly all these Asian manufactured cheap cameras have failed within 12 months of purchase, most of them seem to have similar faults appear so makes you wonder. Is it just poor quality or a deliberate ploy to sell more ?.
Or is it the use of cheap plastic & components, My sister has an old Kirby it's about 35-40 years old & still works perfectly, yes very expensive in it's day and she still uses it, she has had many others but all have fallen to bits within a few years so she has decided to stick to the Kirby until it fails.