1756-OA16 output fusing/breaker recommendations...

Russ

Lifetime Supporting Member
The cards have two internal 3.15A fuses, one for each group, and a 0.5A max current loading per point @ 60°C (140°F).

They also have a 5A surge for 43mS per point, repeatable every 2 seconds.

These outputs will be pulling in relays, and turning on an indicator light, so there should be minimal surging.

I'm interested in protecting the outputs. My first thought is to stick with a 500mA breaker/fuse and call it a day. But with the surge rating, would a 1A breaker/fuse work just as well, or could the 1A breakers/fuses put the outputs at risk for potential failure?

About a year ago I lost a Compactlogix output card because one of the channels pulled close to 1A over a long period of time. When plant personnel cycled power on the cabinet, the beacon light turned on resulting in a failed point; and the card was toast.

I'd rather not repeat that again, if at all possible.

I've spoken with my local Allen Bradley distributer, who referred me to Rockwell Tech Support. The Tech Support Agent I spoke to likely won't be able to get back to me until next week (he didn't know the answer, and dropped the question into group chat).

It would be great to have an answer, or at least an understanding of what questions need to be asked, by Monday.

About a year ago I lost a Compactlogix output card because one of the channels pulled close to 1A over a long period of time. When plant personnel cycled power on the cabinet, the beacon light turned on resulting in a failed point; and the card was toast.

I'd rather not repeat that again, if at all possible.

I don't see how fuses nor circuit breakers would remedy that situation. An interposing relay for the oversized load(s) would though.