1761-net-aic help

Teglaco

Hi guys

I have a customer that would like to make changes to there system. I cannot get online to see the system running to confirm what i would like to do.

They have a Micro 1200 with channel 0 talking Modbus to the 9 pin din connector on a 1761-net-aic module. The dh-485 term block is wired to 6 yaskawa drives. The db9 / rs-232 connector on the bottom of the aic is open. The HMI / Programming port on the micro is connected to a pv 600 (AB 2711-TBC16L1) .

My computer does not have a proper serial port, i use a tripp-lite usb to serial converter. It works well as you all know. In this situation, to get online through the net-aic, do i need the 1747-UIC?

I don't have much experience with these modules and i'm having some trouble getting the proper info needed.

Thanks All

Ted

Because the Channel 0 serial port is configured for Modbus RTU Master, you can't get online with this controller without disconnecting something. Even though it's using a 1761-NET-AIC, the protocol is Modbus, not DH-485, so the 1747-UIC won't work on that network.

The simplest way to get online with the controller would be to use the DCOMM feature.

Disconnect the 1761-NET-AIC from the Channel 0 serial port and substitute your Tripp-Lite converter and a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. Press and hold the DCOMM button until the DCOMM LED comes on steady. At this point the controller is in DF1 Full Duplex mode on Channel 0 and you should be able to go online with it using the ordinary DF1 Full Duplex driver.

Your other alternative is of course to disconnect the PanelView and use that port.

Right. Suspicions confirmed. Might be time for an upgrade, the customer isn't happy they can't do online edits and are willing to make a change. I'm thinking a micro 1400 with a PV Plus via ethernet.

Ken you are a great resource and I thank you for taking the time and having the patience to help out people like myself.

Mickey:

Is rethinking the HMI choice what you're reffering to?

I would upgrade the HMI from a pv600 to a pvplus for the ethernet capability on the hmi end. I would add an ethernet switch for programming and plant data capture purposes. I would leave the 1761-net-aic in place and use it the same way it is currently being used with the new ML1400. I would write a new program for the pvplus using existing tags from the original program. The program is small and straight forward.

Ah, i see. I've been sucked in by the rockwell machine. 95% of my customers spec AB components so i'm limited to that most of the time. This case is no different. Rockwell has most people i know drinking the kool aid.