1761-NET-ENI Problems

sheppawc

Hello, I am trying to connect to my SLC500 L40A using a 1761-NET-ENI (SER A)

and a 1761-NET-AIC (SER A) converter. I am using RSLinx Gateway Edition v2.2 on a Windows 2000 Gateway Laptop with a serial port. I was able to configure my

1761-NET-AIC (SER A) with a valid IP address in the correct subnet and I can ping it and bring it up in IE. I am also able to connect to the PLC using the PIC/AIC driver in RSLinx. I think the problem is the serial side of the ENI converter. I am unclear on what driver I should use in RSLinx to connect to the ENI. I tried to use the

AB_ETH-1, DH485 but it comes up with “Unrecognized Device” and a red X. My IP address is entered correctly. 192.168.1.25, any help would be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

sheppawc said:
Hello, I am trying to connect to my SLC500 L40A using a 1761-NET-ENI (SER A)

and a 1761-NET-AIC (SER A) converter. I am using RSLinx Gateway Edition v2.2 on a Windows 2000 Gateway Laptop with a serial port. I was able to configure my

1761-NET-AIC (SER A) with a valid IP address in the correct subnet and I can ping it and bring it up in IE. I am also able to connect to the PLC using the PIC/AIC driver in RSLinx. I think the problem is the serial side of the ENI converter. I am unclear on what driver I should use in RSLinx to connect to the ENI. I tried to use the

AB_ETH-1, DH485 but it comes up with “Unrecognized Device” and a red X. My IP address is entered correctly. 192.168.1.25, any help would be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

I have been looking for documentation for the series A NET-AIC with no luck. But I do know that the NET-ENI is basically an Ethernet to DF1 converter. I am unsure what the 'IN' protocol is for the original NET AIC module, but if it is not DF1, then that is the problem

Ian

curlyandshemp said:
I have been looking for documentation for the series A NET-AIC with no luck. But I do know that the NET-ENI is basically an Ethernet to DF1 converter. I am unsure what the 'IN' protocol is for the original NET AIC module, but if it is not DF1, then that is the problem

Ian
Documentation for the NET-AIC is on the Rockwell site: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um004_-en-p.pdf I have looked at the document and I think it said that it was campatible with DF1. Thanks

See PDF below: Device Compatibility:

Your SLC only supports DH485. curlyandshemp is right. The AIC is not a protocol converter it is just a media converter (RS232 to DH485) I'm sure the AB experts will weight in and explain it better the I.

Last edited:
The setup that you have will not function.

The 1761-NET-ENI converts between EtherNet/IP protocol on 10/100BaseT wiring and DF1 Full Duplex protocol on RS-232 wiring.

Your 1747-L40 Fixed I/O SLC-500 controller ONLY supports DH485 protocol.

The 1761-NET-AIC is an electrical converter between RS232 and RS485 signalling only. It does not convert between DF1 and DH485 protocols.

It might be possible to use a 1747-KE module to connect a fixed I/O SLC-500 controller to an Ethernet/IP network. I'd have to test that.