1769-L36ERMS use 1768-ENBT to seperate networks

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can a L36ERMS use an ENBT (or other rack mounted ethernet?) module to connect to PoitIO 1734-AENTR?

We have a system coming in that has PointIO safety modules connected to the L36ERMS ethernet ports (an HMI is also in the loop). We need the L36ERMS on the broader PLC network for system to system comms, etc. I don't typically like to see private IO moduels on the same network as PLC<->PLC network. Could a ENBT be used to move the PointIO comms?

No. The 1768-ENBT is only compatible with the legacy 1768 series processors. There is no such equivalent for the 1769 series processors.

Your cheapest/simplest option is, as Patrick says above, a NAT device like the 1783-NATR

There are no "expansion" Ethernet modules available for the 1769-bus CompactLogix like the 1769-L36ERMS.

Those 1768 series modules connected to a special left-side bus on the 1768-L43/L45 controllers, which are a couple of generations out of date.

In theory you could use a 1756 series bridge; two 1756-ENBT or -EN2T modules in a 1756 chassis by themselves would allow HMI/SCADA/enterprise traffic to access the controller while isolating it from general-purpose traffic and the safety and I/O.

But in your case, the best solution is a NAT or other router. The A-B ones are reliable and easy to use, especially if you're using a DLR Ring for physical fault tolerance.

Can a L36ERMS use an ENBT (or other rack mounted ethernet?) module to connect to PoitIO 1734-AENTR?

We have a system coming in that has PointIO safety modules connected to the L36ERMS ethernet ports (an HMI is also in the loop). We need the L36ERMS on the broader PLC network for system to system comms, etc. I don't typically like to see private IO moduels on the same network as PLC<->PLC network. Could a ENBT be used to move the PointIO comms?

I thought the 1769-L36ERMS had dual Ethernet ports that can be addressed separately?

Check the Rockwell manual and see exactly what it says.

Dual ethernet ports yes, but only a single IP address. Think of it as an unmanaged switch. Starting with the 5069 compact logic controllers then yes each port can be addressed individually.