1769-SDN Devicenet scanner

clemson726

I have an issue trying to replace a device on a devicenet network. I'm not very knowledgeable about devicenet. Anyway, I've successfully gotten into the network, loaded the new device with the EDS, and long story short, I get a diagnostic error telling me that the electronic key for the new device mismatches. When i double-click on the 1769-SDN Scanner and bring up properties, I'm only getting a "General" tab across the top. I'm missing the scanlist, input, output, ADR, and summary. Can anyone be of any assistance?

I've successfully gotten into the network, loaded the new device with the EDS

Welcome to the Forum!

Could you please be a bit more specific regarding your DeviceNet network access? By what means have you 'gotten into' it?

When you state '...loaded the new device with the EDS...' you mean what? The 'device' does not need the EDS. The 'device' knows what it is. The DNet Scanner needs the EDS.

Have you tried to Google 'DeviceNet'? I'll do it for ya...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/dnet-gr001_-en-e.pdf

Please study the document and proceed accordingly (hopefully you haven't shut the place down yet...:D); let us know how it is going every now and then...

Its a Mircologix 1500 with devicenet scanner 1769-SDN. I can gain access to the devicenet network through a 1770-KFD. The EDS for the new device has been added to the scanner. I'm still getting a 20 followed by a 78 on the scanner. The 20 is node address of the device I replaced, an IAI controller. Running a diagnostic check in rsnetworx, I see that the electronic key is wrong. The device shows up in the network when browsed. I've searched for a day and from what I can tell I need to be into the scanner properties. When I go to the scanner properties, I'm only seeing a "General" tab. I've tried to create a new network in rslinx and add just the scanner. Opening up the properties, I still only see "General". I hope that helps.

Did you read the manual within the previously posted link prior to attempting altering the network configuration?

Do you have the original, functional, RSNetworx for DNet file?

Studying the manual would've returned an approximate procedure of how to add/remove/replace any device on a DNet network. It goes like this:

1. Secure the functional RSNetworx for DeviceNet file; go Online with it and confirm functionality.

2. Go Offline, remove the device from the Scanlist and Download it to the Scanner.

3. Physically remove the old device from the network.

4. Register the replacement device EDS file on the PC running RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

5. Physically connect the new device to the network and ensure EDS conformity/functionality by Online browsing with RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

6. Add the new device to the Scanlist; if the new device 'data footprint' is not identical to the replaced one make the corresponding mapping alteration.

7. Download the newly configured Scanlist to the Scanner.

I believe that was the sequence. I have the identical setup in 6 different machines. I can always upload from one of those scanners and download back to this one and start over. Would that explain me not being able to configure the scanner?

I believe that was the sequence. I have the identical setup in 6 different machines. I can always upload from one of those scanners and download back to this one and start over. Would that explain me not being able to configure the scanner?

You are re-configuring the Scanlist (the topology of the attached DNet network); the Scanner configuration should be the same since the original commissioning unless defective.

Could you post a screenshot of your Online RSNetworx file?

Sure. Another thing I don't know is why everything says unregistered with question marks. I went online initially and saved the configuration and it was still like that. I'm not getting any node errors because of it except on Node 20

RSNETWORX1.jpg RSNETWORX2.jpg

Oh boy...It doesn't look good...

Did the network function properly up until you tried to replace the device?

As far as I know. The controller I replaced has been obsolete for years. It was faulting out so maybe it did some damage to the network? What are my options? Like I said, I have several other machines with identical devicenet networks. Do you think the scanner is corrupted?

It surely looks like...

Do you have a spare scanner?

If you do, disconnect the entire network from the old one, replace the Scanner(without attaching the DNet connector) and try to go Online with it; if it shows up as what it is, you will have to re-create the entire configuration file, node by node...:sick:

No spare scanner. Lets say it does turn out to be the scanner. I can just download the config from one of the other machines correct? That will at least get all of the node addresses set right?

Well...Theoretically yes...If the PLC mapping is identical, all the devices on the two networks are identical (including Firmware levels!) and carry the same node numbers...Kinda hard to believe...

Last edited:
Try to browse with a new file if you've originally used an existing one.

Make sure the 1770-KFD is connected to the proper network and your PC has the 1969-SDN Rev 2.01 EDS installed; maybe re-register it.