20-COMM-D Explicit Message Write

gmferg

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have been using explicit MSGs to write parameters to PFlex Drive and 20-COMM-D to setup comms for DNet. These will setup Speed Ref, datalinks, etc. This saves a lot of time when commisioning hundreds of drives for a project.

Part of this setup requires that I write to params 13, 25, and 26 of the 20-COMM-D to enable datalinks. Since PFlex 70/700 drives have varying numbers of total params and the 20-COMM-D params appear after the drive params, I need to know how many total params the drive has. I can then add 13, 25, and 26 to this total param count to hit the correct 20-COMM-D params.

The following MSG setup is supposed to return the total number of drive parameters only. This works about 80% of the time. The other times, the MSG will either error out or return a number representing total number of drive params + 20-COMM-D params.

ParamsExpMsg.JPG

Is there a more reliable method for retrieving the total param count?
Is there a better method for writing directly to 20-COMM-D params?