200 IO, 40 Analog Input

2x siemens s7-1200 can handle this cheap... with sd card for backup and log... But, this is America :D

Finally you provide the important information.

Also we got 2 other aplication using already SL500,
[...]
Also a very important point, if the system fail or whatever we would need like a backup or something, if one of the module is broken we can deal with it for the CPU we need like a backup, when we make batch when its started its very important that we never stop, if its happen once or twice a year that we scrap one i mean its ok... to change a motor, a drive etc... but all the batch at once ... we cant
I am guessing that the old system used the 1747-BSN "backup scanner" in conjunction with RIO and SLC500 CPUs. (edit: is the only kind of redundancy you can have with an SLC500 based system).
This provided redundancy for the CPUs, but not for the networks or the IO.
A similar system can be achieved with
AB ControlLogix. (also supports RIUP and I think CiR)
Siemens S7-400H. (also supports RIUP and CiR)
Siemens S7-300 with software redundancy. (Least expensive but has a relatively long switchover time).
With a real DCS you can have redundancy of everything, but also costs accordingly.

Last edited:
Oh, final word.
As soon as the word "redundancy" creeps into the equation, it is no longer a trivial task. I recommend you get support for the design of the system from the vendor(s) that you consider using.

Forgot to mention with AB and Schneider we got prety good discount also on every part. and both of them have a huge warehouse with tons of part maybe 10min away from us.

for the P2000 im very interested to try it some day thats for sure. Sound like a great product but the only thing that scare me a little is the time i can get spare part.

Siemens well... Great stuff but i dont want to learn that programming language seem complicated and all heh ! but we use alot of Siemens VFD and its great stuff.

The more i read the more i get interested about the M340 and a magelis HMI. Would be a good opportunity to get in touch with these product.

But for the final decision we will still ask automation company for advice and stuff and see what they have to suggest. I can program some small/average PLC and HMI but i dont know **** about the big one and all.

Well thx for the advice, so many great comment and helped me alot.

Forgot to mention with AB and Schneider we got prety good discount also on every part. and both of them have a huge warehouse with tons of part maybe 10min away from us.

for the P2000 im very interested to try it some day thats for sure. Sound like a great product but the only thing that scare me a little is the time i can get spare part.

Siemens well... Great stuff but i dont want to learn that programming language seem complicated and all heh ! but we use alot of Siemens VFD and its great stuff.

The more i read the more i get interested about the M340 and a magelis HMI. Would be a good opportunity to get in touch with these product.

But for the final decision we will still ask automation company for advice and stuff and see what they have to suggest. I can program some small/average PLC and HMI but i dont know **** about the big one and all.

Well thx for the advice, so many great comment and helped me alot.

If you really require redundancy the M340 does not have redundant capability, you would need to go Premium for that, as above, central processor remote I/O, but if you need redundant I/O that complicates it again

I would second another post above, talk to somebody in the area who you will be buying from, they will have tech guys who can advise on application.

DCS is becoming long-in-the-tooth technology with the advances in PLC technology. A Control Logix or Quantum would easily take care of this. Plus the parts are easier to obtain for replacement.