2080-LCD only displays scientific notation?

khelza

I'm using a 2080-LCD with a Micro 810 to display analog values and display it on the LCD. However, some values display in scientific notation ex. 11.5 displays as 1.1500E+01.

I capture the analog values in an ANY_TO_REAL function, so that I can manipulate the REAL values with * function (to scale analog value) and get the AVERAGE. I convert the average value in an ANY_TO_STRING so that I can send it to the LCD display function. The issue arises if the number is less than 1 or greater than 10, the value in the string is automatically converted and displayed in scientific notation. I was told by the tech that this is internal to the function and that there is no way to change it.

It may be possible to manipulate the string so that it is not seen as a number greater than 10, possibly by breaking apart the number, however, the LCD function appears to only allow one string per line in the display.

As well, I feel that if I try to concatenate the characters, as soon as they're all contained in a single string, they will be automatically converted to scientific notation.

I won't ever be looking for a value of less than 1, so I have programmed a separate display to say it's less than 1, so really, the work around only needs to apply to numbers greater than 10.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? Hopefully someone a lot more familiar with CCW..

Also, why is AB making scientific notation the default?!? isn't decimal more common..? I'm assuming it was simpler for them to program the function block this way.

Last edited:
Turns out it was not the LCD function that converts the string into scientific notation, it was the ANY_TO_STRING function.

To work around that, I ended up manipulating the string after it was converted to scientific notation.

if value of REAL is 10 or greater:
- DELETE function to delete the 2nd character of the string which is the decimal
- INSERT function to insert decimal character into 3rd of character position of string
- LEFT function to keep the whole number and first 2 decimals, and delete the remaining decimals and E+01 in the string

Last edited: