4 wire snp serial communication GE FANUC 90-70

sranjeit

I'm trying to establish snp serial communication between GE Fanuc CPM-790 programmers port ( 15-pin, RS-485) using 4-wire connection. On the PC end I'm having a RS-232/RS-485 to Ethernet Converter ( Make MOXA).

The pinout of MOXA RJ-45 is: (MOXA is connected to PC on Ethernet)

PIN----RS232----RS485(4W)/RS422----RS485(2W)
1------DCD-------------TxD-(A)
2------RxD-------------TxD+(B)
3------TxD-------------RxD+(B)---------- DATA+(B)
4------DTR -------------RxD-(A)------------DATA-(A)
5------GND-------------GND------------------GND
6------DSR
7------RTS
8------CTS

The pinout of CPM-790 (Programmer port) DB15 is:
PIN----DETAIL------------ JUMPER
7----- SG-------JUMP [PIN- 9 (RT) TO PIN-10 (RD (A')]
10-----RD(A')-- JUMP [ PIN-8 (CTS(B') TO PIN-14 (RTS(B) ]
11-----RD(B')---JUMP [ PIN-6 (RTS(A) TO PIN-15 (CTS(A') ]
12-----SD(A)
13---- SD(B)

In PC Moxa is creating virtual RS-485 com ports, so I’m connecting 4 wires ( & GND) directly to MOXA’s Com Port. ( Is it required to convert RS-485 to RS-232 in this case, because MOXA is not converting RS-485 to RS-232 ?).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Can you isolate each of the devices and prove that they are communicating?
In other words, do you have another method to communicate to the PLC and is that working? This will prove the PLC port is working.
Once isolated and proven then I would look at the cable.
I am confused as to what you are trying to do:
PLC - RS232 - RS232/RS485 - RS485/ethernet - PC?

Hope this helps,

I'm trying to establish snp serial communication between GE Fanuc CPM-790 programmers port ( 15-pin, RS-485) using 4-wire connection. On the PC end I'm having a RS-232/RS-485 to Ethernet Converter ( Make MOXA).

The pinout of MOXA RJ-45 is: (MOXA is connected to PC on Ethernet)

PIN----RS232----RS485(4W)/RS422----RS485(2W)
1------DCD-------------TxD-(A)
2------RxD-------------TxD+(B)
3------TxD-------------RxD+(B)---------- DATA+(B)
4------DTR -------------RxD-(A)------------DATA-(A)
5------GND-------------GND------------------GND
6------DSR
7------RTS
8------CTS

The pinout of CPM-790 (Programmer port) DB15 is:
PIN----DETAIL------------ JUMPER
7----- SG-------JUMP [PIN- 9 (RT) TO PIN-10 (RD (A')]
10-----RD(A')-- JUMP [ PIN-8 (CTS(B') TO PIN-14 (RTS(B) ]
11-----RD(B')---JUMP [ PIN-6 (RTS(A) TO PIN-15 (CTS(A') ]
12-----SD(A)
13---- SD(B)

In PC Moxa is creating virtual RS-485 com ports, so I’m connecting 4 wires ( & GND) directly to MOXA’s Com Port. ( Is it required to convert RS-485 to RS-232 in this case, because MOXA is not converting RS-485 to RS-232 ?).

Any help would be much appreciated!

(blatent copy-paste from another web site).....
The 90-30 and 90-70 both have an RS-485 serial port as already explained. The issue for connection is that both use a 15-pin connector instead of the more common 9 or 25 pin versions. Horner Electric makes a very nice cable for this application that has indicator LED's and is longer than the standard GE cable. The Horner cable has the coverter molded into the cable end so it is a sigle use device. The GE cable has the converter as aseparate device on the end of a 9 pin to 15 pin cable.

You can also do an eBay search using the words: horner snp

(blatent copy-paste from another web site).....
The 90-30 and 90-70 both have an RS-485 serial port as already explained. The issue for connection is that both use a 15-pin connector instead of the more common 9 or 25 pin versions. Horner Electric makes a very nice cable for this application that has indicator LED's and is longer than the standard GE cable. The Horner cable has the coverter molded into the cable end so it is a sigle use device. The GE cable has the converter as aseparate device on the end of a 9 pin to 15 pin cable.

You can also do an eBay search using the words: horner snp

I do not know where you did your copy/paste from but this is very old information as the LATEST cables are just the opposite where it comes to LED's.