5/03 corrupted processor

maclood

I am trying to connect to a PLC but i'm getting the 'Corrupted Processor' error. I am using Logix500 v6.3 so I believe its out of date with the PLC firmware.

If I reset the CPU by linking VBB and GND, will it clear the firmware and allow me to download a copy from my laptop (V6.3).

Using that method will clear the processor's program not firmware.
Your version of RSLogix although old should work with your processor.

Does RSLinx connect ? What port are you using PC and SLC.
What cable are you using to connect ?
What driver in RSLinx are you using ?

I'm using the PIC/AIC driver as it's set for 485 connection to an HMI. I can see it ok in rslinx, only when I try upload/download it gives me the error. Is it the program or the firmware thats giving me the error. I have five of these, 3 connect fine, 2 have the same issue. I can download program from another one if the reset clears the problem.

One thing that can cause that error is when the SLC was originally downloaded using the old Dos based APS software. I believe that it could also be caused by downloading with a newer version of RSLogix500, and then trying to use the older version.

This is the problem. They both work as they are supposed to except No.4 pump stops at random with no PLC failure. I just need to check some timer presets. I don't want to try this and end up with the same connection issue with it not running at all.

If I reset, will I be able to download to it with V6.3 or is it locked into a diferent version.

I agree with OkiePC; the processor firmware is probably newer than RSLogix 500 version 6.30 supports. Instead of properly reporting "this controller operating system is not identifiable", it gives a Corrupted Processor message.

RSLogix 500 version 6.30 was released in August of 2004. Are any of your controllers newer than that ?

Edit: RSLinx browse -> right-click -> Device Properties should show you the firmware revision of your controller. You might be able to compare that to the Release Notes for RSLogix 500 version 6.30.

Again, clearing the controller's user program doesn't do anything to the firmware. If your controller operating system and revision is not supported by your RSLogix 500 software (i.e. it's newer than 6 years ago) there is no way to use that revision of RSLogix 500 with it.

The best approach is to get an upgrade to the current release of RSLogix 500.

Last edited:
If you clear the memory, then you *should* have no problem downloading. I emphasize "should", because I suppose there is always some risk that something could go wrong.

Do you have a spare SLC/ps/chassis?
You could dump the program in a spare SLC, then quickly swap it with the running one...