5069-IY4 V2.012 on Studio v33.015 - Cannot set thermocouple type

drforsythe

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a fair amount of Logix and Studio experience, but this is my first project with Studio v33 and a 5069 CPU and -IY4 card.

The processor is a 5069-L306ERS2 with firmware 33.015 loaded. Among other cards, I have a 5069-IY4 version 2.012 in the rack. I was able to add the card to the rack configuration and select thermocouple for the appropriate input. The problem I am having is that I cannot change the units from degrees Celsius and I also cannot select a Type J thermocouple. It does not state what type of thermocouple is selected, it simply states that the range is -100mV to 100mV. I cannot change the High or Low Signal or the High or Low Engineering, either. Has anyone seen this? It is not like other analog cards I have set up. I saw some images on the web from v31 or 32 and the configuration interface looks totally different and has settings for different types of thermocouples. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Did you try to configure it offline and then push the program back into the PLC? I know I'm sick of keeping track of Rockwell's "known anomalies" as well.

- I've been using Studio v32 and the v2.013 IY4 cards

I've noticed that the module configuration dialog has changed pretty dramatically in newer versions of Studio. When I add an -IY4 to that processor offline, the module properties dialog box has a tree view on the left side. At the "Channels" level, you select just Thermocouple, High/Low Signal/Engineering. If you go down a level to Ch00, you can select TC type and Temperature units. I don't have that hardware, so I can't tell which settings are available while online, but you can get to them while offline.

When you change the TC/units settings on the Ch00 page, it reflects the change in the Engineering columns of the Channels page.

Thank you for your responses.

dummy_bit: I did try configuring offline and got the same results. The description joseph_e2 describes was where my problem was. The tree initially threw me off. When you open the Channels level, you see a description of the settings. I did not realize that you must EXPAND the Channels selection to get to the actual settings. What is really confusing is that you can change the input type on the overview of all channels without expanding it. You cannot, however change the thermocouple type. In order to change the thermocouple type, you need to expand Channels and then select the appropriate channel. So that part works now. It is a minor bug, I just wish I would have noticed that little arrow to expand it. All is good now. Thanks again.