50hz vfd applications

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
I apologize in advance for my ignorance.
I am supposed to program a vfd for New Zealand at 50hz.
Any info would be appreciated.
That is the only info I have at this time other that in it is our standard 3 phase 3hp Toshiba drive to run a low pressure pump.

Questions resolve around what I should be concerned w/ changing from 60hz to 50hz

Hey Ganut,

Assuming the available voltage is within the acceptable range of the VFD, it should be as easy as entering the motor nameplate data and setting the speed reference to 50hz.

Edit: Obviously the pump will have significantly less flow / pressure too

Last edited:
The motor nameplate is the place to start. A lot of motors I see now are rated for 50/60Hz, if that is the case you don't even have to worry about changing to 50Hz. The point of a VSD is that the input frequency doesn't match the output frequency :).

like it was said, there is nothing to be concerned about.

in fact, older VFDs that didn't have as much electronics would allow you to take a 3 phase input VFD, and put single phase into it and still be able to run just like normal (at lower capacity of course). nowadays if it doesn't support that, purchasing a single phase input, 3 phase output is very common for places that have industrial equipment, but no rotary phase converter or 3 phase service.

as for HZ. dial in whatever you need for the output, set the maximum frequency to 50hz and it will run fine. If it puts you at ease, i've run into plenty of applications of 60hz systems running 120-140hz motors on them all day long :) read the manual and have at it.

We are 400V, 50Hz TN-C here. As long as your drive is rated for that input voltage, shouldn't be an issue.

As others have said, the pump flow will be reduced if originally designed for 60Hz. Suggest finding a suitably rated pump at 50Hz, will be easier for the maintenance guys to replace in future if required.