A-B 1747-SN to 5/04 ????

tom_stalcup

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hmmmmm.... The backround......
I'm planning on setting up some DH+ communications between the main processor of a machine, and the subsection of a machine. Both processors are 5/04's, and the main machine has a 1747-SN card currently being used to feed a remote io rack. The main machines are already part of a network, and the subsections are still stand-alone.

I just wanted to get your take on a few different questions.....

Option 1: Add the secondary processors to the existing network, and add more messaging onto the DH+ network(about 12 items currently on network, this would push it up to 18).(probably what I'll end up doing)

Option 2: Can the secondary processor be hooked up to the scanner card to transfer information that way?(preferred method, if possible)

Option 3: Add some type of adapter to the chassis of the secondary processor so that the scanner card can read information that way?(would take a lot more work/time)

Option 4/5/6/etc..... anything else......

Good Morning Tom,

I think that DH+ is the best way to go. I think you should consolidate your messages though. Even for large projects I rarely have more than one or two message blocks going in each direction.

The 1747-DCM will allow the secondary processor to be viewed by the primary as a remote rack. I haven't used the module in a while and if I remember you can't easily transfer a lot of information with it. You can always mux through it if you want to create a mess.

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

Stay within the intended service!

Option 1: Add the secondary processors to the existing network, and add more messaging onto the DH+ network(about 12 items currently on network, this would push it up to 18).(probably what I'll end up doing)
If you extend the DH+ you are way better off than the other two options you proposed. The SN module is only to support a RIO network and that only provides you with certain capability. If information handling is your goal, the DH+ is the way to go. RIO is not a great data handling protocol, but then it was not intended to be.

I think you should consolidate your messages though. Even for large projects I rarely have more than one or two message blocks going in each direction.

Sorry, I didn't explain quite well enough. There are eight processors and 4 panelviews on the network right now, and the seven slc's are only talking to one slc, with 1 read and 1 write going to each one.(14 messages total, and then the 4 panelviews) Is there a way to consolidate further?

Hi Tom,

Now I see what you mean.

Regardless I'd stick with the DH+ solution. Consolidating further depends on your application. See if you can make use of global data anywhere and possibly eliminate unnecessary messages.

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)