a guy who writes machine software is ? (job title)

Paulus said:
Therefore, does this make this "Technician" better than the graduate "Engineer", and if so, where does that leave the "Engineer" status?
Bwa, i'm happy to not be an engineer, once i was taking amps from a motor, and had to tell this at the Engineer "4 year study real educated engineer"
But he wanted to know the power i told him that he could calculed this he ask me how

I'm not educated, just a technical degree left school at the age of 18 my card says "Construction Manager"

brucechase said:
As far as I'm concerned, you can keep the insults to yourself. That's the bad thing about this board is all the engineer bashing.
I've never hesitated to insult someone when I felt an insult was due...but after rereading my reply once, twice, and yet a third time...nope, don't see any insults. I'm going to say you woke up on the wrong side of the computer Bruce.

I am degreed and have 20 years experience and have that attitude. I worked hard for my degree and am proud of it. I can also handle most anything thrown at me from keeping the plant running to performing arc flash calculations to desiging a power system.
Now I really don't get your offense to my reply. Isn't that the same thing I said here?
TWControls said:
Now I am working with a guy now who is a 4 year graduate and will be a prime candidate for being an engineer in a few years. Mainly, he has the degree and realizes that he needs some hands on experience to put his knowledge into practical applications
Oh and by the way, if you ask this guy if he is an Engineer, he will tell you "No, but I have an Engineering Degree". He is eager to learn and I'll put every dollar I have on him becoming a better engineer than someone that thinks that the four year degree is all they need to be an "Engineer"

I never put anyone down for NOT having a degree and I have a lot of respect for many technicians that do so many things, but they are NOT engineers. I don't expect that everyone should attack someone just because he has a degree and IS an engineer.
Just read my reply a fourth time...still not seeing where I put anyone down...but if you want me to put you down just give me a few moments, I'm sure I can think of something...

TWControls said:
...but almost every student I have seen graduate and not accel in the field of engineering has exactly the same mentality.

Then if this isn't an insult, what is it? You are comparing me to a person who does not "accel" in the field of engineering because of my statement. Maybe I did wake up on the wrong side, but I don't know how else to take this statement.

LOL Bruce, take the statement however you wish. It's not enough for me to get worked up over. I'd rather see if Mickey has an extra lounge chair. Let me see if I can fix this situation

Your definately the type of person who causes engineers to get bashed, stiff and not a bit of humor. Probably couldn't enjoy playing with your toys as a kid for taking them apart to see how they were made.

There, now I've clearly insulted you. Happy now?

Sorry to all of the rest of the Peanut Gallery who were looking for a better insult. Trying to finish up some drawings while keeping my eye on my son playing so my mind was pretty occupied. Was watching him take apart his Elmo truck and...wait a second...OOOOHHHHH NNNNNNOOOOO, don't tell me he's going to be an.......

TWControls said:
Was watching him take apart his Elmo truck and...wait a second...OOOOHHHHH NNNNNNOOOOO, don't tell me he's going to be an.......

Maybe he will scratch his hand, become a lawyer and sue the toy maker. Anything but an engineer.

Mickey said:
Maybe he will scratch his hand, become a lawyer and sue the toy maker. Anything but an engineer.
I about feel out in the floor...that was a good one.

At 18 months its a little too early to tell. I just try to enjoy every minute with him I can.

Meh - If being an engineer is what the two old certified engineers I dealt with today are, then I don't want that label slapped on me. Must be embarrassing to have a 24 year old have to completely remodel your work in order to get it to function, because you never had any real hands on experience or sense of logic.

I know that 99.99999 of REAL engineers are more than capable. I'm just still pretty worked up over having to do ALOT of extra work because they didn't do it right the first time. Wich is another thing - they make mistakes, we get extra work, and I HATE doing things over.

They are nice guys though ^^

BASH! BASH! ;)

TWControls said:
LOL Bruce, take the statement however you wish. It's not enough for me to get worked up over. I'd rather see if Mickey has an extra lounge chair. Let me see if I can fix this situation

Your definately the type of person who causes engineers to get bashed, stiff and not a bit of humor. Probably couldn't enjoy playing with your toys as a kid for taking them apart to see how they were made.

There, now I've clearly insulted you. Happy now?

Sorry to all of the rest of the Peanut Gallery who were looking for a better insult. Trying to finish up some drawings while keeping my eye on my son playing so my mind was pretty occupied. Was watching him take apart his Elmo truck and...wait a second...OOOOHHHHH NNNNNNOOOOO, don't tell me he's going to be an.......

Wow, that tells me a lot about you as a person. So if anyone disagrees, you stoop to insults. I'm glad you have such great insight as to tell exactly what kind of person I am.

brucechase said:
Wow, that tells me a lot about you as a person. So if anyone disagrees, you stoop to insults. I'm glad you have such great insight as to tell exactly what kind of person I am.
Um...no. You already said I insulted you. Did you forget?
brucechase said:
As far as I'm concerned, you can keep the insults to yourself
Remember I responded
Just read my reply a fourth time...still not seeing where I put anyone down...but if you want me to put you down just give me a few moments, I'm sure I can think of something...

I disagreed with it being an insult, so to make sure that there was no disagreement in whether I insulted you or not, I clearly insulted you. I don't think anyone here will dispute it...you've now been insulted. Just trying to do my part to make the world a happier place

Perhaps next I should have made a joke about your memory...can't seem to keep up with the thread...nothing humorous comes to mind

TW said that a guy who gets a degree (in engineering) isn't always an "engineer". Is that the issue? I have known engineers who were titled that, but really, they were "guys who graduated college", and didn't have the good sense to do any useful work.

As opposed to degreed engineers who DO make the grade, and can truly be called engineers. There's always some of the first type in every crowd; how many "programmers" do we see come in here wanting to know what a "byte" is?

tomalbright said:
As opposed to degreed engineers who DO make the grade, and can truly be called engineers. There's always some of the first type in every crowd; how many "programmers" do we see come in here wanting to know what a "byte" is?
I know what a byte is, but going back to the standardization that Peter was talking about, why must some call it a bit and others call it a byte? Wouldn't a uniform term be better?

(I better clarify so I don't upset anyone, yes I'm kidding)

There are always extreme cases with everyone when they work with a multitude of individuals...There will be the 'Engineer' that's dumb as a rock, and there will be the high school graduate whose a whiz kid. So everyone who points out, "well I worked with an Engineer and they couldn't tie their shoe", or "I met a Walmart greeter that was quoting Einstein" and from those experiences make generalizations about those with degrees and those without, and those who call themselves "Engineers" and those who dont', it's utterly pointless. Like any profession, there are those that give it a good name, and sadly those that give it a bad name.

As far as the term "Engineer" or even the profession "Engineering", it should be accurately used to indicate those that have a degree in Engineering. Doesn't mean they are a good one. Just means that they are one. If you don't have a degree, then you aren't an Engineer. If you don't have a PhD, MD or other equivalent, you aren't a doctor. If you haven't passed the bar, you aren't a lawyer. Doesn't mean that you aren't good or capable of doing "Engineering" type work. And certainly a degree isn't indicative of being capable of doing the work either. You can't confuse being able to do the work of an Engineer with being an Engineer. Entirely two different issues, IMHO.

tomalbright said:
TW said that a guy who gets a degree (in engineering) isn't always an "engineer". Is that the issue?
Didn't see Steve (TW) say that anywhere. My original response was to NateW who said that "anyone who does any type of design (is) an engineer, whether degreed or not". That is still wrong. If you get the degree (with or without insults / with or without experience / good or a goober) you are an engineer. The only other exception is someone who takes and passes the PE exam by the local authority. No where did I say anything about being a good engineer or a practical engineer. If a doctor amputates the wrong leg, it doesn't make him not a doctor - just incompetent. Same applies to an engineer (not the leg cutting off thing - the incompetent part).

Last edited:
brucechase said:
Didn't see Steve (TW) say that anywhere.
Yep, that's what I said. After you read my first sentance, you pretty much put the blinders on...and who's Steve?
I strongly disagree with this...but almost every student I have seen graduate and not accel in the field of engineering has exactly the same mentality.

Now I am working with a guy now who is a 4 year graduate and will be a prime candidate for being an engineer in a few years. Mainly, he has the degree and realizes that he needs some hands on experience to put his knowledge into practical applications

I probably could have pointed out that earlier, but I'm just having too good of a time spending the day with my boy. Your going to have a hard time getting me bent out of shape. Plus if you get bent out of shape that easy...well it's your health. Also, if you look around, I'm probably one of the last to bash any profession, organization, or company.

TWControls said:
Yep, that's what I said. After you read my first sentance, you pretty much put the blinders on...and who's Steve?

I probably could have pointed out that earlier, but I'm just having too good of a time spending the day with my boy. Your going to have a hard time getting me bent out of shape. Plus if you get bent out of shape that easy...well it's your health. Also, if you look around, I'm probably one of the last to bash any profession, organization, or company.

I guess Steve is not you - so much for reading your signature correctly (a-s-s-u-m-e-d it was your quote). Never tried to get you bent out of shape, just responding to a post 9and it wasn't even yours). As for me, "bent out of shape" isn't what I would call it. Tried to keep it on a level above insults and when I felt I was insulted, I had to respond instead of insulting back. By the way, my health is fine (though thanks for being concerned). Since you are one of the last to do the bashing, I guess we are near the end.