a guy who writes machine software is ? (job title)

brucechase said:
I guess Steve is not you - so much for reading your signature correctly (a-s-s-u-m-e-d it was your quote).
No, Steve Bailey is a great member of this forum who gave me some very inspiring advice, including the statement that you see in my signature.

My name is Tim. Nice to meet you
Never tried to get you bent out of shape, just responding to a post 9and it wasn't even yours). As for me, "bent out of shape" isn't what I would call it. Tried to keep it on a level above insults and when I felt I was insulted, I had to respond instead of insulting back.

Hum, let me look again...

We have post #72. Definitely not an insult. In fact, many of the more qualified engineers would probably agree with me and the fact that the "paper is all I need to engineer" has probably hurt the profession.

Then we have post #77, where I clarified my point and the fact that there was nothing insulting you in my thread. I even offered to insult you if it would make you feel better

The we go to post #79 where I joke about my son taking apart his Elmo car. I thought it was funny, Mickey even thought it was funny and made a come back in post #80. You wouldn't happen to be a civil engineer would you (It's a joke if you couldn't figure it out)

Then we have post #84, which is a little confusing. That is where I tried to straighten up the facts concerning the original insult. In post #83 you tried to say the the initial insult was in post #79, when in fact your initial accusation was in post #74 over my post #72. I then threw another joke in there which I'm guessing you didn't understand.

Then we go to post #86. I might be able to see you getting upset with it. I was pretty much singling you out in my just kidding disclaimer. So if this post offended you, let me know. I might do something about it.

On to post #89. Just pretty much posting the the content of #72

Ok, I've gone through everything. Nope, not a single insult in my posts

By the way, my health is fine (though thanks for being concerned).
Good to know. I never thought I would feel emptiness over loosing a fellow forum member until we lost Ron. Besides a few lingering problems from breaking an ankle a year and a half ago, I'm in great health too.
Since you are one of the last to do the bashing, I guess we are near the end.
Ok you got me, if you can't get the fact that I'm joking about the Civil Engineer in this post then you could say I'm bashing a Civil Engineer.But they don't even like to use the Engineer title, they prefer Architects. We might have to put that one in front of the jury.

OK, way too much to quote or follow or even explain. I could continue with trying to explain my position, but it would probably get lost in one of the 10 (not binary) or so posts and replies and I seriously doubt you or most anyone else really would care at this point. Suffice it to say that if you didn't insult me, then I took it wrong (wouldn't be the first time). It is funny that you mentioned Ron, he and I disagreed on this very subject more than once, but I did respect him and what he did (we also had some great talks on carnivals). Nothing wrong with disagreeing with people as long as it is kept on a non-personal (and non-threatening) level.

Oh by the way, I did understand the jokes and I'm not a civil or industrial engineer. It did remind me of the Dilbert video "the knack" (and I was laughing) -

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/410397/dilbert_the_knack/

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Last edited:
Your position was clear from your initial post or at least I got. Mine was the one that apparently wasn't.

Actually our positions aren't that different. Mainly, I don't believe that an Engineering Degree is enough to make you an Engineer.

I can't believe your discussing titles anyway. Isn't your title "We don't need no stinkin' titles!!"?

I would never call myself an Engineer. I lack a few classes from being one and I would have to get to the level of my Dad before I would ever give myself that title. I'll get those few classes, but I'll need about 30 more years of experience to reach the level of my Dad. Until then, I'll stick with the "Industrial Sorcerer". Gets the point across and all I have to worry about is offending that guy in the funny hat on the Verizon commerical and him turning me into a frog.:geek:

How about we just call it a misunderstanding? Deal?

brucechase said:
Nate, must completely disagree with your statement that "ANYONE who does ANY type of design is an engineer". That statement is truly a dis-service to ANYONE who spent 4 years in college getting a BSEE.

OK so I’ve gone a little overboard. Honestly, an engineer is someone who has the 4 year degree or who has been registered as a PE by the state licensing authority.

In my opinion that only gets one the title. Four years of school meant you could persevere and had the money. Passing the PE only means you were able to pass the test.

An engineer - better yet COMPETENT -- in my mind is one who is able to look at the problem, understand the mechanics of it, the problems and compromises and come up with best choice at least cost.

I have 3 degrees plus graduated from Navy Nuclear Power Training - does that make me an engineer?? The answer is NO - I studied a different curriculum - Occupational Safety and Health. I worked and interfaced with engineers a lot.

I have seen engineers foul up and I have seen tradesmen foul up. The good ones learned from their mistake. The bad ones did it again.

I personally do not care about titles or job descriptions EXCEPT you are NOT getting paid this week.

Dan Bentler

Guys, please!

'Engineer' is a title of education, end of the story. This title is available for every-one (at least in my country). You need to make the 4 year effort to get this title. Only fair to say: in school everybody gets the same chances to earn the title.

Once you leave school it's a whole new game. Or somebody gives you the chance to get into the line of work what we are talking about or when you have enough many you can be your own boss. Some engineers by title never have one of those two options and need to take work in a different field of work. Nothing wrong with it. And yes, people with a degree other than engineer can get a job where they 'engineer' something. And yes some of these non-engineers can do a better job then a engineer-by-title.

If they wanted to have the title, they should have done this be studing in the past, now or in the future.

By the way: it's 'only' a title-of-education: there are more important things in life.

Curve Ball

I see most people refer to an engineer as having a 4 year degree or/and having their license.

I would like to point out that by law you are not required to have a 4 year degree to take the licensing exam. You can have a lesser degree or no degree for that matter. If you do not have a degree you must take an EIT (engineer in training) test and then show 4 years of experience to qualify to take the License Exam.

For a non BS degreed person (such irony in that acronym) you must show 8 years of experience before taking the EIT test where as a person with a BS degree (still funny) can take the exam when they graduate college.

Qualifying Experience: doing documented “engineering” work.

I know this really has no bearing on this thread, but I thought it to be rather humorous.

It does however point out that even our licensing take experience into account. Cause everybody knows that paper on the wall does not mean you can do the job. Just gives you the right to call yourself certain things. And until you get your stamp you are just as irresponsible as the rest of us. When you get your stamp it means not only can you be fired but you can be sued as well.

Disclaimer: I know this is the requirements for the state of North Carolina, I can not comment on the rules of other states.

Anyway, you can call yourself what ever you want as far as I am concerned. What I call you will depend on my opinion of your abilities. In my world my opinion is the one that matters and decides what I trust you to do anyway.

Combo said:
I don't want to use the title engineer, I am not an engineer, so I won't use it.

But what to put on business cards...

PLC nerd ?

I need a correct tittle

Combo is belgian and obsiously does not want to use the educational title engineer or, after the Bologna-agrement, master of science. He should be a bacholar and also for him it is possible to get a masters-degree if he takes extra courses or a special examination-contract.

http://www.ond.vlaanderen.be/hogeronderwijs/vgv/studenten.htm

Controls Programmer

It was really nice to see that all we guys in this profession feel the same way. It's amazing how come people love to do this job profile but at the same time they hate it also.
Well, that's the beauty of this job profile.
So I guess, you can call yourselves as "Controls Programmer"

TWControls said:
\ Was watching him take apart his Elmo truck and...wait a second...OOOOHHHHH NNNNNNOOOOO, don't tell me he's going to be an.......

This reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon, titled "The Knack" that is posted on You Tube.

Personally, I am an Engineer, by degree and by license. I don't beleive that makes me better or worse than anyone else. I only take offense to the use of engineer when used in titles on job search boards that end up being hotel maintenance positions.

ivo.maenen said:
Combo is belgian and obsiously does not want to use the educational title engineer or, after the Bologna-agrement, master of science. He should be a bacholar and also for him it is possible to get a masters-degree if he takes extra courses or a special examination-contract.

Be carefull to use the title "master of science" you need a university degree what would mean on the subject of engineering 5years of education and not 4 in Belgium it would be civil engineer of Burgerlijk ingenieur. If you had 4 years education it would be a Master

I think my boss will put: Automation/System Integrator on the cards...

you guys think that's okay ?

Thim said:
Be carefull to use the title "master of science" you need a university degree what would mean on the subject of engineering 5years of education and not 4 in Belgium it would be civil engineer of Burgerlijk ingenieur. If you had 4 years education it would be a Master