A PLC network dilema

Pretty sure the DCS takes info from the many different points along the process. The PLCs are small processes along the machine as well.

On the demarc point, what piece of networking equipment would you suggest for point (B)? Not sure if a router, managed switch, or since I'll want all remote locations on a VLAN, maybe it could be an unmanaged switch.

In all honesty, I was wanting the plant network for the remote access. So the above mentioned point makes needing corporate access a null point. Although, if they ever wanted a PLC tech company wide I could see this option asked for. Maybe you could tell me if remote maintenance of multiple locations of a company is done. I understand OEM access, but just couldn't imagine a guy in a company maintaining multiple facilities PLCs remotely. Seems more like they'd just dispatch that person to facilities instead.

Unfortunately, migrating Delta V over to anything else I fear would cost far more than 20k. Its currently got all the hardware and software plus a 30+ year senior staff member to maintain it. I don't know enough about the DCS, but I do know they collect distributed I/O, control, collect data, and trend that collected data. Things I'm sure plant PAX is capable of, but the cost of equipment and training would be a hard selling point.

As long as I can do the control/compactlogix on the VLAN as a datacollector, then if routing is all that is required to take a 192.168.100.xxx/255.255.255.0 address to a 10.20.0.xxx/255.255.254.0 address then sure. The delta V is basically treating the field PLCs as a remote I/O point. If I can slip things like Plant PAX in and slowly show its benefits would be about the only approach I can take. The fact that its free is a huge plus.

The reason I am stuck on the NAT is that I had contacted a technical support division of a distributor to ask if the data collector was even possible and what equipment to use. He suggested a CompactLogix 1769-L32E. When I asked how to go about getting data from 1 IP that the Compact was on, over to an entirely different physical network and IP; he suggested the 9300-ENA. Not entirely satisfied with the solution, I decided to finally make my first post here and get some opinions.

Hello! I have the same problem. I need to separate the networks. 1st network: PLC, HMI, several drives; 2nd: PLC to SCADA.

1) To use 1768-L43 with two ENBT modules and unmanaged Stratix 2000. But it's very expensive.
2) To use 5370 L2 with Stratix 2000 and NAT-device (9300-ENA).
3) To use managed switch, for example Stratix 5700

I've never used 9300-ENA and managed switches...what do you advise?

Hello! I have the same problem. I need to separate the networks. 1st network: PLC, HMI, several drives; 2nd: PLC to SCADA.

1) To use 1768-L43 with two ENBT modules and unmanaged Stratix 2000. But it's very expensive.
2) To use 5370 L2 with Stratix 2000 and NAT-device (9300-ENA).
3) To use managed switch, for example Stratix 5700

I've never used 9300-ENA and managed switches...what do you advise?

Given the date of this thread, its probably best to start your own.

However, to answer your question, IMO the best route is the 9300-ENA with one of the new series of compactlogix (L24). With the L43, you will spend more money plus be locked into Version 20 and unable to upgrade. In my experience, the 9300-ENA works better than the 5700 and is significantly easier to set up.

Given the date of this thread, its probably best to start your own.

However, to answer your question, IMO the best route is the 9300-ENA with one of the new series of compactlogix (L24). With the L43, you will spend more money plus be locked into Version 20 and unable to upgrade. In my experience, the 9300-ENA works better than the 5700 and is significantly easier to set up.

Thanks!

How is the 9300-ENA configured? Using a WEB-interface?
I found only bulletin about it: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/gmsp-pp001_-en-p.pdf