a seven-segment querry:)

using PTO and fast counter you only need two PLC outputs:
- reset (to clear counter)
- PTO (to send number of pulses)

Hi Panic mode,

I've been reading your post over & over again but i can't seem to get how its done.. :eek:
Anyway, I haven't tried any 'fast counter' (only general purpose ones) maybe that's why Im confused with this application..I'll surely would research on this..

Best regards,
theripley

using PTO and fast counter you only need two PLC outputs:
- reset (to clear counter)
- PTO (to send number of pulses)

Hi Panic mode,

Please correct me with this one..I think the 'fast counter' you are referring to is an IC that accepts generated pulses as input..I think the programming with this is like programming a servo (but of course servo control is much complicated) to indicate certain position..What i mean is that i.e., for 100 pulses my counter would give a display of 00, for 500 pulses it would display 02 and so on.. (do i get it right??)
Don't i need a decoder for this?I mean in displaying digits to 7-segment?

Best regards,
theripley:)

Last edited:
you just send number of pulses you need to be displayed. it will work on slow counters (those counting up to 20-30 cps) but this means that sending value like 59 will take 2-3 seconds. if the counter is able to count faster (kHz) then you can send the value in a much shorter time (so it looks like instant value, unlike progressive incrementing). electronic counters could count way faster but the input is filtered to fit most common applications which are... well...less than perfect.

if the counter is able to count faster (kHz) then you can send the value in a much shorter time (so it looks like instant value, unlike progressive incrementing).

Uh, now i see..If my input,say ,"X" is true then i will send 3 pulses so that it displays 3..Hmm, very much interesting..But i think i need a decoder in here, am i right?
Am i correct in saying that this 'fast counter' you are referring to is an IC?

no ICs, standard industrial counters like Omron etc. many will do 1kHz or more. they receive pulse count and display it (decoding and driving display is done internally).