AB 1336 VFD "Over Current Fault"

smcmanus

Hi. I have a AB 1336 Drive that’s been running fine for years is now getting "Over current" faults periodically. The motor is driving a rack and pinion. Not sure what the problem can be. There is an encoder on the shaft and a resolver on the motor. Can that be the issue (bad component)? Or maybe the drive is bad. Where should I start? Appreciate your response.

SMC,

Stuff wears out, according to the Law of Entrophy. You might be able to keep it running a while longer (while you order new equipment) by stepping up the overcurrent trip setting. Of course only do this within the restricitons of the local electrical codes and regulations.

I remember that on the old AB 1336 drives, there are two or three parameters that have an effect on the overcurrent trip.

smcmanus said:
Hi. I have a AB 1336 Drive that’s been running fine for years is now getting "Over current" faults periodically. The motor is driving a rack and pinion. Not sure what the problem can be. There is an encoder on the shaft and a resolver on the motor. Can that be the issue (bad component)? Or maybe the drive is bad. Where should I start? Appreciate your response.

If I was a betting man, my money would be with TWControls, but if your drive is running closed loop I believe there's a loss of feedback parameter that has to be set properly otherwise you might get an over current fault if loss of feedback occurs.

Hi. I have a AB 1336 Drive that’s been running fine for years is now getting "Over current" faults periodically

We had one doing the same thing and last week it went from f12 to f33 which is fault buffer full and would not rest. After trying all tech support had to offer we changed it out. If i were you i would read my settings out of the drive before it dyes and have one ready to go in its place. I might add there was nothing wrong mechanically and it ran fine with the new drive.
2 cents.

Last edited:
How quickly does the motor come to a stop? Is there any momentum in the system? Do you have a braking resistor? If you try to stop a load too quick it will over current fault. Does the system stop and start often? Check your connections on the VFD and in the motor box.