AB 1746-HSTP1 module help

According to the book, a config that does not have ability to home the module will not be accepted but if I can't use home switches, I will need to work round this, any ideas here too?

It seems that it only needs to have a switch in the config file data, it does not need to actually use one - relative moves (which is what I want) are possible without being homed or zeroed.

The more I read the flimsy manual, the more it sort of makes sense - the data is all sent to the same address and the switch between config and run is triggered by one bit being set. I'm fairly confident that the config only needs sending once per startup.

I might have to put together a test bench for this one, motor, psu, driver card and the plc, just to fully understand it. I haven't done any of this since 2002 so it's been a bit of a learning curve ;)

You're mixing the config input word with the config output word.
Config output is what you're sending to the module.

The command words are what you send to make it move, etc.

Yes, I think I have it, the correct sequence appears to be..

Send config, once
Send reset position, once
Send relative move, many times.

Check the input data for the "move finished" if needed.

Does that sound right?

Ok, half way success;)

Managed to talk to the stepper module, configure it and send it moves plus read the responses from it.

For anyone that's interested, you need to send the config code once, I used a 3s timer and an OSR bit to send the data via a COP instruction, this happens as soon as the program starts running.

Immediately after that you need to either home the drive or in my case just send a zero command, again I used a 1s timer and OSR for this, triggered from the first timer.

Following that, I can then send it relative move - zero - relative move - zero or jog - zero - jog - zero commands. It needs the zero command after each move or it will not make a repeat move, the jog is latching and will continue until the zero is sent to stop it - this is easy using an XIO on the jog switch input.

The "move complete" bit is latched at the end of a move (not jog) until the start of the next move.

Now that I can talk to it, I need to hook it up to the drive amp and see what really happens ;)

Last edited: