AB 1746-HSTP1 module help

Davek0974

I'm getting back into the driving seat of plc programming after a long break, I have a machine rebuild and want to re-use an AB SLC 503 plc as I have it lying around along with a stack of I/O boards.

The only part I am unfamiliar with is the stepper control unit - 1746-HSTP1, this machine needs to talk to a ServoStar601 drive using step/direction signals to command a feed to supply X MM of material on each cycle.

Does anyone here have any examples of using this module that could offer advice?

Ok, been studying the PDF linked above, have extracted some understanding of the data table contents (p6-1) and how it's transferred when needed but need help on one point...

I need to set it for step/direction so need to set output word 0, bit 10 to logic 1 (p4-2)

I presume this would be done in the configure step, but I can't figure out line 1 - N29:0 on p6-1. I see the first three entries are -32751, 17, 1 could someone explain possibly?

Much appreciated

It looks as though configuration word 0 has bits 0, 4, and 15 set and according to the manual page 5-10 it's being set for absolute move and immediate stop - of course bit 15 says it's configuration mode (not command mode).

Page 6-2 has partial description in the rung comment - doesn't explain why word 1 (reserved) is set to anything or why word 2 has data as well.

Thanks, following your reply, studying some more I see that

Word 0 has a value of -32751 which is -32768 (bit15) + 1 (bit0) + 16 (bit4)

Word 1 has a value of 17 which is 1 (bit0) + 16 (bit4)

Word 2 has a value of 1 which is (bit0)

In the back of the manual it shows for config word 0, bit0 is CW limit switch, bit4 is home limit switch and bit15 is config mode.
For config word 1, bit0 is the active level of the CW limit switch, bit4 is the active level of the home limit switch.
For config word 2, bit0 is is starting speed MSW.

That sort of explains the data in the N29:0 line of code (-32751, 17, 1)

What I am looking for is to set the board as step/direction control, and then I simply need three commands - jog fwd, jog Rev and move a set amount. There are no home switches in this application, it simply feeds material using relative moves, no need to home, ever.

The test rungs in the book are great but it's the config I can't grasp, do I need to config every move or only on startup? The book states the drive will fault until it has a happy config setup but I can't bench test this one so need to be nearly right from the start.

I will also need to get the "move finished" flag back into my program. There are no encoders etc.

Any more detail you can offer?

According to the book, a config that does not have ability to home the module will not be accepted but if I can't use home switches, I will need to work round this, any ideas here too?