AB Charging to fix "bricked" CLX

Just to put a sense of perspective on all of this....I must have flashed literally hundreds of CLX modules over the last 8 years....and never "bricked" a single one.

There should be some sort of "pay according to the type of help you need" system. This blanket system where everyone pays the same is not right

Any suggestions on how to do it better? The previous scheme was based only on the number of software licenses the end-user held, which penalised those who honestly purchased all the licenses they should have had, and those who had a relatively small installed base. TechConnect now takes account of the number of installed CPU's in the expectation that overall this number has a better correlation with the expected support level required.

Having done more than my bit of TechSupport over the years I can tell you that we got lame calls from people who haven't done the training course, read the manual or even done basic information gathering before calling. Some of these types chew up HOURS of phone time and leave you utterly burned off at the end. At the other end of the spectrum you can get calls from people with very advanced skills, who expect that you have at your fingertips the exact answer to a bug they have uncovered because they have pushed their system to the bleeding edge...or put together a combination of components and firmware revisions never qualified....or they really have uncovered a genuine bug.

And providing a comprehensive support system that can handle the enormous range of calls from these people, over the very large range of products Rockwell supports, with 24 hr global availability is not a simple task. It is quite a different story to supporting a very narrow range of products that are applied in a typically limited range of ways to a limited customer base....a handful of people can deliver good support quite easily, but that kind of system totally breaksdown when scaled up.

Rockwell went through a major support transition about 7-10 years ago. We moved from very personalised local scale support (which could be excellent or terrible) to the beginnings of the current global system. The teething pains were terrible, but the system nowdays delivers overall far better and consistent support than was ever possible before. The trouble is that everyone loves grizzling about the small handful of occasions something isn't handled quite right, but never bother telling the success stories. Here is one:

An SLC500 system with a 1747-SDN scanner with lots of 1734 Point IO modules. Over time we had upgraded the scanner firmware to utilised some new features, but we ran into some truly weird problems with 1734-OB2 modules dropping off the network and erratically re-covering if at all. Unfortunately opportunities to troubleshoot this system are very limited, so it took time to qualify the nature of the problem. When I finally had a clear picture of what was happening (along with Ken R's advice) I got a Case# into the system. Within a day I had a detailed confirmation of the cause of my problem (and turned out to be a VERY obscure bug, caused by a combination of firmware incompatibilty, power-up times and the exact layout of my modules), and Rockwell replaced every one of the 1734-OB2's with later version modules. This was VERY welcome.

And I only got that result because I worked the system constructively...I did my homework to exactly qualify the problem, made my case in detail, explained why it was important and took a positive attitude throughout. By complete contrast I recall loosing my bundle late one night with TechSupport over a completely different issue in RSLogix500. I got nowhere. An hour later I called back, made sure I got the same guy and apologised...and the guy in the meantime had sussed the problem and had the answer. And I might add he really appreciated being treated as a human being the second time round.

Last edited:
There's no excuse for not being able to recover from a bad firmware upgrade. Even when the Control Logix came out.

The boot loader should detect a bad FW load and allow another. Sometimes the user messes up, sometimes the user has poor equipment but sometimes things just happen. Power flickers during upgrade, somebody trips over the serial cable and yanks it out on accident, etc...

AB should fix this for free.

cjh,

I think you are just venting. What do YOU actually know about PLC OS's and the technology involved? Not much I suspect. Designing these things involves many hundreds of decisions and trade-offs between functionality, stability, cost and what can be achieved with the technology of the day. When the first L1 and L55 processors were designed (now over 10 years ago), flash memory technology was still relatively new, and for whatever reason the problem we are talking about was still not properly solved. I am aware that there were MANY other computer class products from the same era with the same potential problem. (And the whole discussion is pretty pointless anyhow, as the issue no longer applies to the current generation of CPU's.)

Now it is not like there are not many clear warnings to the end user about the potential for "bricking". It is not like you cannot use a battery backed laptop and some form of UPS or 24v battery PSU for the PLC. It is not like it is impossible to set up your cables so that they cannot be tripped over or accidently yanked out. I wonder why it is that everyone seems to expect the someone else to take responsibility whenever THEY mess up.

Is this really how Americans think these days?

I think this topic mostly got responces from people who never had Logix module flash issue or never flashed one - just another chance to say something you have no idea about.

I can safely say that during last two years I probably flashed more Logix modules in a week that anyone else on this forum in a life time (may be expcet PhillipW ;) ). I never had a failure that was not recoverable.

Call your distributor and ask how many processors they returned in a year that failed flash?

Original poster dougrb did not tell us what actually happened before flash failed.

No one will redesign 10 year discontinued or almost discontinued modules because someone will try to flash it over serial port and PC went on the stand-by during this flash or battery died.

Just to make it clear:
New and under warranty module flash failure repairs are free.
It has nothing to do if you have support contract or not.

Last edited:
cjh,

I think you are just venting. What do YOU actually know about PLC OS's and the technology involved? Not much I suspect.

For one, I am not venting. I actually happen to like the Control Logix. I think it is a damn fine PLC.
For two, how would you know what I know or don't know about PLC OS's, etc... ?
How much do YOU actually know about PLC OS's???

Again, I think the Control Logix is a good PLC, I just think that this particular aspect of the earlier versions of Control Logix was a big design over sight and they should take care of the 'few' situations to where the flash failed and there is no way to recover for the user.
Is that really so un reasonable?

I was going to write something after Bernie had enlightened me, regarding bricking, but chose not to because I didn't want to stir the pot.

However, in light of the additional posts...

Why would you not have your firmware on a separate, socketed chip. If a new version came out that offered new features, you could order the upgrade. If you didn't care about the new features, you continue to use your same set up.

Keeping in mind that you would make the software backwards compatible for those who don't want to, or need to use the new features, but still have to use a new version of software...locking out the new features unless they have a new firmware chip.

or,

don't allow the customer access to the firmware. They will order whatever configuration with an installed firmware. Do the upgrading in the software, via download and license information. Within the software, you would be able to run either the latest revision or a previous revision.

To keep it less complicated, offer new releases on a quarterly or semi annual basis, so your not overwhelmed with a multitude of releases.

In offering a convenience, sometimes makes something that should be simple, complicated.

I am not overly familiar with the inner workings of the CLX product, but this is just one manufacturer's opinion.

God Bless,

New and under warranty module flash failure repairs are free.
It has nothing to do if you have support contract or not.

What constitutes a warranty flash failure anyway? I'm ordering spare parts for our CLX machines here in the plant right now, and it's very possible that the processor I order as a spare will still be sitting on our shelf 5 years from now. If(5 years down the road) I need to do a flash for our spare processor and something goes wrong, will I need to pay to get it fixed? Or is that going to be warrantied?

Not trying to stir things up.... I just don't actually know what the standard is for that sort of thing...

Last edited: