AB Compactlogix - what analog input/output options do we have?

Davinjw

Hey guys,

running into issues trying to get some analog input and output cards for customers needing a few points here and there.

with that in mind, has anyone found any ethernet armorblocks or remoteio type things that are more available to take care of these needs? Its tough to tell them "see you in 6 months" on these little projects that they want done, and most of the time a remote block makes sense. The used market is not an option, prices are 4X new list and ebay is overrun with chinese copies.

plenty of digital out there but not much on the analog side

I've got an Automation Direct thermocouple module connected to a CompactLogix PLC for a few months now and its been flawless. I would guess their other analog modules would function about the same. But it looks like they are pushed out to late April availability.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad..._i-z-o/stride_i-z-o/analog_i-z-o/sio-mb08thms

those look pretty good, they have them in regular analog as well (out to june though) but the one you linked says it is modbus TCP. are you using this on connected to the ethernet port on the compactlogix?

those look pretty good, they have them in regular analog as well (out to june though) but the one you linked says it is modbus TCP. are you using this on connected to the ethernet port on the compactlogix?

Yes, on the Ethernet, which required me to use a "Modbus TCP Client" AOI in the CompactLogix.

The instruction name is "raC_Opr_NetModbusTCPClient" as the attached image shows.

Modbus_TCP.PNG

Yes, on the Ethernet, which required me to use a "Modbus TCP Client" AOI in the CompactLogix.

The instruction name is "raC_Opr_NetModbusTCPClient" as the attached image shows.

cool! I've got a couple of those on order they look like a great bridge until I can get the rockwell cards in hand.

Thanks!

We do not. We only use I/O link when customers request it. We only have one or two that do.

you and I are both in CES territory so we both know the struggle. Never in my career would I think I would call a distributor in the same chain in another state and beg them to sell me something sitting on their shelf haha. I'm certainly ready for these supply chain issues to ease up a bit.

you and I are both in CES territory so we both know the struggle. Never in my career would I think I would call a distributor in the same chain in another state and beg them to sell me something sitting on their shelf haha. I'm certainly ready for these supply chain issues to ease up a bit.

Where in WA are you?

received a couple of the analog output modules, they work great! took a bit of fiddling with the client to figure it out but overall should do the trick if I need one, plus they're pretty cheap. with my fluke process meter .414 mA read as .41, .416 read as .42mA so they are quite accurate.

FYI for anyone else interested in these - if you're trying to make an analog output module work with that AOI - set it up to read the registers first, then switch it over to write when you're certain you're on the right registers. you can set unique analog values from the web interface so you know you're on the right tags then convert it over to write.

View attachment 61578
Hey Guys,
First time poster here... Im pretty much a newbie to programming with limited experience message instructions and VERY limited MODBUS experience.

I previously used a prosoft module to communicate with stand alone refrigeration units. The setup was built by someone else and it "just worked" for me.
We have now upgraded from the 1769 PLC range to the 5069- with onboard MODBUS.
I have been tasked with getting the new "raC_Opr_NetModbusTCPClient" to work with limited success....

The Communications and "transactions" of various "counts" to the known registers's are intuitive enough, simply copying the info from the old pro-soft setup.
But Im stuggling to understand the relationship to the Source & Destination TAGs , and the read & write "messages" within the AOI...

The AOI is currently polling and I get data out it but it constantly shows "sts_Overload" & sts_ Overlap" faults.
As a bandaid fix, I have set up a watchdog timer to simply turn the enable bit false for a couple seconds when this happens and it resets itself.

Where should I be looking/what would you suspect is wrong to cause these issues?