AB PowerFlex 753 DeviceLogix error on upload from drive

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a PowerFlex 753 drive connected to my laptop via a 1203-USB adapter. When I connect to this with CCW and try to upload from the drive, the upload gets to the very end of the DeviceLogix part (port 14) and then comes up with an error window saying "Failed to create the DeviceLogix Editor instance". Everything else (viewing/changing parameters) seems to work fine. Someone suggested that I try to upload from the other ports only (port 0, and have an I/O card as port 4), but the option to upload from port 0 only is greyed out.

I found this similar old thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=74184 but the answer posted there also does not apply to me, i.e. only one PC connected to the drive.

Any ideas? Tried all the usual: restart, run as admin, error check upload, etc.

nmnkfohknepniocb.png

Try Disabling Device Logix until the upload is done, then enable it again after. Sometimes it's temperamental when logix is running.

@Scruff: thanks, I'll try that when I'm with the drive next.

@AustralIan: latest version of CCW, and I used it to download the initial program (I'm assuming it would've told me if there was a conflict)

Long time reader first time poster..

I had an issue very similar, if not identical to this when I was programming several PowerFlex 753 drives last week. I was using CCW v10.00 on an Ethernet Network to connect to the drives, ranging in different sizes and firmware revisions. I could connect and upload from every drive bar one. On that drive I could connect to the device and modify parameters but on an upload I received an "Upload Device Logix Program Error" with "Failed to upload the DeviceLogix Program. HResult = E_FAIL" at the very end of the upload process.

As AustralIan said I thought it may have been a Firmware in-compatibility with that version of CCW (drive firmware v12.01), but I had other drives that size with identical firmware installed on the same switch. I gave it a crack anyway trying various VM's with different CCW revisions with no avail.

The fix ended up being quite simple.. I downloaded the latest revision of 753 firmware (v13.02) and flashed it onto the drive. Success!

I am assuming that the firmware flash to the drive may not have been completed correctly (if that is possible? maybe someone with more knowledge in this area could shine some light on that subject) and just needed a new flash to resolve the issue? One way to test it would be to simply flash the drive with the same revision of firmware that is on it now, if that resolves the issue then my suspicions may be correct. Hopefully this helps and let us know what you find out.

Matthew_Gilly said:
Long time reader first time poster...

Hi and welcome to the Forum Matthew!

Epy,

Here is some info on the issue and some solutions to correct it...

878630 - PowerFlex 750: Connected Components Workbench Error - Failed to Create the DeviceLogix Editor Instance
Access Level: Everyone

It includes anything from installing the latest CCW Database files for All Drives, the latest DriveTools SP Database files for All Drives, the latest AOP for the drive(s), or reinstalling CCW itself...and a reboot of your workstation, for good measure.

Regards,
George

Thanks all for your answers. Updating all databases as we speak. Noticed that the drive is on v12 of the firmware, but hesitant to update as I don't have a program to download back into it after flashing firmware...won't all the parameters get cleared out if I flash the firmware?

Epy said:
...Noticed that the drive is on v12 of the firmware, but hesitant to update as I don't have a program to download back into it after flashing firmware...won't all the parameters get cleared out if I flash the firmware?

Yes, as stated, they will.

But...

If the PowerFlex 753 drive has a Human Interface Module (HIM), such as a 20-HIM-A6, then you can perform a "Copycat from Device to HIM". The HIM CopyCat function allows you the save the current parameter User Set from the drive's memory into the HIM. When you physically change a drive, or update an existing drive's firmware, you can then use "CopyCat from HIM to Device" to restore the drive's parameter set. This would be fairly standard practice.

Regards,
George