AB PV 1000 Power Supply Humming

controlconcepts

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have 2 Panel View 1000's That I got off Ebay. Great deal lol. They work just fine were form a GM Plant. The only thing that is wrong with them is they both are Humming almost like a panel alarm buzzer that got covered in tape to reduce the volume. It sounds like it is coming form the power supply area. I googled it the few results that came up was another PV 1000 Popped up on Ebay from a different seller stating the same thing that it worked fine but had humming from power supply. Is this a common thing as they get older? Should I be concerned about a failure? Any tips as to fix the issue?
Model Number
2711-TC10C20 FRN 4.2-4.XX

Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited:
Oh no no no won't be covering anything. I was just trying to describe the humming noise in my first post sorry if it was confusing. The sound that the unit makes is very similar to what happens when an operator put a piece of tape covering one of the little black sonalert panel mount buzzers that's about the sound and frequency the panelview makes on its own. I was just hoping for some tips as to if anyone knew of where or what to look for. So when I pull it apart I would have a good idea to be able to replace the power supply or find a bad part that I could replace. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Ah, apparently I cannot brain today. I re-read your post, it made sense. I've never taken one apart, but I'd look for bulging or blow capacitors.

All good I never get words right on my phone and google talk to text hates me. Thanks for the tip. Was hoping it might be an easy cap or something to replace. I'll take it apart and look around. Thanks again.

if you can, get the working file from the unit, then find someone to repair it.
we use teamsesco, reasonable price and they stand behind their work.
i'm sure others may have other companies.
Note; they are a vendor i use and i have no association with them.
james

If I remember correctly, the power supply is a switch mode, it's probably that i.e. the laminations of the transformer (note this runs at about 100kz), however, they can generate harmonics from a few hz to 100's of khz not that you would here them at that frequency, There is also probably a filter coil in the mains supply they can cause hum, often some shellac painted over them will cure it, also as suggested, look for capacitors that are bulging, a sign they are beginning to fail, they might have leaked & are pretty dry.

Thank you so much for all the great advice. I'll look into all the suggestions as soon as I have time. I'll follow up with I find.