Ab slc 5/04 eeprom

dnellingson

Can I take an EEPROM from one processor (locking up after a few hrs) and install in a replacement 5/04 processor and the program will auto load on power up or do I need to connect to the replacement processor with RS lynx/logix to make the program load from EEPROM?

Short answer Yes
that's what the EEPROM is for (backup the program)
for it to auto load on power up will depend on the way the EEPRM is setup
you need to set the load on power up box
it will load every time the power is cycled and overwrite the data table as well
timer values and set points will be reset back the what they were when the program was saved
or you can set it to load if the program has changed
it will only load the program if the checksum has changed from the one in the EEPROM
both cases will over right both the program and the data tables
if they are not set it will not load on power up but must be loaded manually

Before you do that, please explain what you mean by locking up?
simply changing the processor may not solve your issue.

Has the plc program been running without any issues?
has the program been changed?
has any maintenance been done lately?
has any sensors been changed?
is the processor faulting out?

I would go online with the plc and see what's going on and where the program is stopping.
the program may simply be looking for a sensor to make before going to the next step in the program. if the sensor is going bad, the machine will sit there forever until the sensor is made.

regards,
james