Ab slow to open

Timeismoney08

Need Help,

My RSLOGIX 5000 & Linx opens Very slow on my Windows 7 Dell d620 laptop, and when I say slow, I mean over 5 minutes.

Linx gets stuck on opening, at the bottom it says "Checking Activation" and RSlogix 5000 opens the Version window and shows I have version 10-17 installed, Then it disappears for a minute or two, then out of nowhere it will open.

My 500 and 5 open just fine under 30 seconds. Same with Step 7 and TIA.

I looked up my issue and seen similar situations and people suggested to add in to the system variables CHECKDRIVES AND C.

After doing that it didn't make any difference, I also tried adding the suggested code into the ROCKSOFT.ini file, still no such help.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Hard to say, with Logix5k and the higher revs of Linx, there are lots of things that can slow you down to a crawl.

Do you have a networked dongle activation? We only use node-locked here, but I have heard that a dongle you have to check out over the network can really hang up some of the background services.

You may want to watch your task manager while waiting on Linx and Logix to open, see what service is balking. This will give you some ammo for Google and/or Tech Support.

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

Mine takes several minutes as well. I'm using XP but I AM using a USB dongle for activation. I dont check out anything over the network.
My win 7 Laptop that is node locked does not take nearly as long so these dongles might be part of the problem.
I expected it was just my old XP machine so I'll be watching this thread.

I'm not sure if you have viewed this yet, but here are some more considerations from an AB Knowledgebase Article that may help:

Access: Everyone
36198 - RSLogix 5000 software delay in starting

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36198/related/1

I had a similar problem about two years ago, but I'm sure the CHECKDRIVES fix sorted it for me at the time?

Hopefully something in that article will sort it out for you.

EDIT: Sorry, was busy reading. I didn't see the first two posts until I had replied myself.

I am hosting both Concurrent and Node-Locked activations on a USB Dongle in Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
I don't have any delay issues in Windows 7, but then I didn't have any with the same setup in Windows XP SP3 before I changed laptops. I don't use mapped drives on the new laptop, it's never on anything other than an industrial network, but with the old XP one it had mapped drives as it doubled as a docked office PC. This is where it caused me grief a couple of years ago taking ages to load RSLogix5000.

I use the USB Dongle so I can bring it home to my Windows 7 Home Edition laptop for home work.

G.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need "ammo" when contacting tech support, they know what the problems are, but are not forthcoming with workable solutions....

It's not a machine speed issue. On a colleague's TOTR laptop, RSLogix5000 takes over 5 minutes to load up and be usable - that to me is totally unacceptable... On my meagre Dell D600's, single core processors, with 1Gb of RAM, startup time is slow but acceptable (10 to 30 seconds or so).

I suspect it is activation related, but not savvy enough to know why.

You shouldn't need "ammo" when contacting tech support, they know what the problems are, but are not forthcoming with workable solutions....

It's not a machine speed issue. On a colleague's TOTR laptop, RSLogix5000 takes over 5 minutes to load up and be usable - that to me is totally unacceptable... On my meagre Dell D600's, single core processors, with 1Gb of RAM, startup time is slow but acceptable (10 to 30 seconds or so).

I suspect it is activation related, but not savvy enough to know why.

I agree, about not needing "ammo", but if you don't do some research and try the "easy" things before reaching out to tech support, then you may spend an hour on hold, waiting to be told to try the results of a Google search :sick:
If you can help narrow down the problem beforehand, it can save some snipe-hunting.

It does sound activation-related, but that is also mysterious territory for me.

Another contributing factor to Logix5k slowing down for me was going from Locally-hosted security to a remote server for AssetCentre. I'm running Win XP SP3, and my load times for version 20 went from about 45 seconds to about 2.5 mins. Not as bad as some, but it could be a lot better.

We're getting ready to go to a Win7 box with an SSD, i7 cpu, and 16gig of ram. It will be interesting to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

I agree, about not needing "ammo", but if you don't do some research and try the "easy" things before reaching out to tech support, then you may spend an hour on hold, waiting to be told to try the results of a Google search :sick:
If you can help narrow down the problem beforehand, it can save some snipe-hunting.

It does sound activation-related, but that is also mysterious territory for me.

Another contributing factor to Logix5k slowing down for me was going from Locally-hosted security to a remote server for AssetCentre. I'm running Win XP SP3, and my load times for version 20 went from about 45 seconds to about 2.5 mins. Not as bad as some, but it could be a lot better.

We're getting ready to go to a Win7 box with an SSD, i7 cpu, and 16gig of ram. It will be interesting to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

I just find it hard to believe that RSLogix labours so long on finding activations (if that is the issue).

My colleague has activations hosted on his hard-drive (100% legally), yet his software can take up to 10 minutes before it is usable.

My activation is on a dongle, and so long as it is plugged in, my start-up time for RSLogix500 and RSLogix5000 is less than a minute.

There are dark forces working.... would be nice to know what is happening ......

I've noticed it takes much longer to open when I am connected to a network. When I am disconnected it opens fairly quickly. Tried all sorts of things to figure out why. Sure seems related to activation.

OG

Just to be clear...

The Dongle is only acting as a hardware host ID to ensure the licenced software can only be used fully licenced on one PC at a time. Running without it envokes the grace period, which can add a small delay, but nothing major.
If someone is using a hardware Host ID across a network I would not advise it, but it may be working ok or it's their only option.
Anyone not using a Dongle will usually have their primary harddrive or network card acting as the Host ID. Once the Host ID is present, the delay is nearly always related to a software configuration anomaly.

If not mapped drives, delays are usually down to FactoryTalk Software in some way or another.
An update or change to one or more Rockwell software packages can cause it.

If someone is suffering a 10min delay, they really should be able to sort it. But you have to be persistent in finding the root cause.

I would like more info from the OP before making any more suggestions.

Operaghost, if it's slow on the network it's most likely because FactoryTalk Activatons is checking all available drives for activation licence files. It doesn't just look for the ones you're using. It scans all drives each time it runs in case there may be new activations available.

To prevent this go to the bottom of the link above and try the CHECKDRIVES fix.

G.

Last edited:
Some additional Info:

Dell D620 Core 2 duo both at 2.17 GHZ 3GB Ram
I'm not using a dongle, everything's on the laptop.

When I start it up, the only new process I see starting is RS5k, as it loads my CPU usage stays around 2%. Then after a long period, it will jump to 80%, and that's when it loads up ready to run.

Some additional Info:

Dell D620 Core 2 duo both at 2.17 GHZ 3GB Ram
I'm not using a dongle, everything's on the laptop.

When I start it up, the only new process I see starting is RS5k, as it loads my CPU usage stays around 2%. Then after a long period, it will jump to 80%, and that's when it loads up ready to run.

While it is loading, seemingly doing nothing, right-click on the rs5k application and select "Goto process".
While waiting for Logix to open, if you watch the processes window, you will see a cascade of Rockwell services. Most should come and go pretty quickly. You should be seeing one that pops to the top of the list and then "hang" there for too long.

I agree with Geospark, it is probably a FTSP configuration problem, but that is a big bucket to dig through. If you can narrow the problem down to one service that is slow, it usually isn't too hard to find a fix for the problem.

Figured I'd bring this old post up,

The answer to why it was opening so slow was RSLinx.

Installed newer version of Linx and it was fine.

Kind of funny RSLinx bogged every other program down as well.

What version of RSLinx did solved your issues?

I am having similar issues after installing V21 and FTView Ver 7 over Windows 7 32 bit. Patched the systems as adviced by operaghost. But didn't resolve it. I am running RSLinx V 3.6. What I see is the service RscvHost.exe choke up the CPU utilization more than 98%.

What I am doing now is to change the RscvHost.exe service affinity to only 1 CPU, so I can still manage to work, although at times my PC freezes.

Regards

I am having similar issues after installing V21 and FTView Ver 7 over Windows 7 32 bit. Patched the systems as adviced by operaghost. But didn't resolve it. I am running RSLinx V 3.6. What I see is the service RscvHost.exe choke up the CPU utilization more than 98%.

What I am doing now is to change the RscvHost.exe service affinity to only 1 CPU, so I can still manage to work, although at times my PC freezes.

Regards

I don't remember the version but it wasn't 21. I have heard lots of story of how bad V21 is about slowing your PC down. I'l try to remember to post back when I have my work laptop in front of me and I know the version number.

chavak said:

Timeismoney08,

v21 refers to the version of RSLogix 5000. chavak is asking what version of RSLinx you upgraded to in order to solve your problem. You originally mentioned you had RSLogix 5000 versions 10-17 installed, but didn't mention what version of RSLinx you were using when it was slow to open. The minimum you should have been using was RSLinx v2.57.

However, just to note that the minimum version of RSLogix 5000 officially supported in Windows 7 is v19. Likewise, the minimum RSLinx supported is v2.57.

Regards,
George