AB vs Beckhoff IPC

Your question is a bit vague. Are you looking for an alternative to Beckhoff hardware, or software, or both? You could buy any of the dozens of brands of industrial PC, or for that matter a used Dell from the local thrift shop, and install TwinCAT to get the same functionality you'd get out of a Beckhoff CX. Or are you looking for a complete hardware/software solution from another vendor? In that case why does it need to be an IPC? Most of the major players can give you PLC and safety in one device. I believe AB also has the CompactLogix 5480 which has Win 10 running alongside the PLC.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone here has used/found an Allen Bradley or any other vendor who have IPC's similar to what Beckhoff currently offers which allows you to have the PLC, HMI and Safety all running on the same IPC. Beckhoff link below.

https://www.beckhoff.com/en-nz/products/ipc/

Just curious; is there still a supply issue? I recently was awarded a contract for a minimum of 25/year of my own system because Beckhoff just couldn't deliver.
I believe that their license (such BS) cost increases if you don't use their own IPC(?)

Craig

Your question is a bit vague. Are you looking for an alternative to Beckhoff hardware, or software, or both? You could buy any of the dozens of brands of industrial PC, or for that matter a used Dell from the local thrift shop, and install TwinCAT to get the same functionality you'd get out of a Beckhoff CX. Or are you looking for a complete hardware/software solution from another vendor? In that case why does it need to be an IPC? Most of the major players can give you PLC and safety in one device. I believe AB also has the CompactLogix 5480 which has Win 10 running alongside the PLC.

Hi John, apologies that my question wasn't quite clear. I'm actually looking for an alternative for Beckhoff. We currently use a mixture of Beckhoff and AB 5069 Compact GuardLogix with Panelview Plus 7 performance for our projects. Compared to the flexibility and visual graphics which Beckhoff offers, our AB systems looks way behind. I'm personally an AB fan but their limitations are making me re-think. The 5480 could work if they could do safety and could run FT View ME or similar so we could use it with a touch screen monitor of our choice.
My company is not moving away from beckhoff anytime soon but they are looking to replace our AB hardware with another vendor which offers features similar or close to what beckhoff offers.

Just curious; is there still a supply issue?(?)
Yes, especially with the safety I/O. What I understand is after the chip supply was ravaged by Covid, they began to look for alternatives but it takes time to properly validate all the safety stuff when design changes. Or so I was told.

Which is a shame. I love Beckhoff product and the prices are far from unreasonable.