Achieving the integration simplicity of Lego MindStorm

edwcler

Here's a question to the group. When will integrating devices in the Industrial Control world approach the simplicity of the Lego MindStorm system. Essentially, when will we be able to truly plug and play with devices? It seems like this should be the standard for moving forward. The industry seems to be making strides this direction.

I did some playing with the Lego system and was completely blown away as to its simplicity.

Well, you have to realize that Lego is a toy system from a single manufacturer. Most industrial systems use components from many different manufacturers. Each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Some installations have the benefit of using controls and drives from a single manufacturer and in those cases they might be approaching plug and play versatility. But due to the fact that most control products are made to work in widely variable applications there is generally configuration that has to be done. So it's very hard to put a system together and expect it to work right out of the box. If that was the case most of us on this forum would be out of work.

I love playing with Lego Mindstorms with my 8 year old son. I believe that it cultivates imaginations that will help develop the next generation in our industry.

However the variables are fixed as they are in every true "Plug and Play" system. You have a certain size and shape blocks, specific sensors and outputs, and a set amount of instructions. This may seem great at first, but it leave no options for innovation.

Standards are good, but there is a thin line between a standard to improve systems and a mentality of "we've done it this way for 50 years, why change". To a point, many of those non-plug and play products are the innovations that become the next standard.