aci string to integer

sheirj

I'm using a allen bradley slc 5/05 and I have extracted from a string a weight value of lets say 11.85. I have not extracted the "Lbs" label yet. I need to display this value on a panel view but when I use ACI string to integer command I only get the 10's and ones's column, I can't get the tenths or hundreths values.
Can anyone shed some light on this.
Thanks in advance
Sheirj

Last edited:
by definition, the word "integer" means that you can't store decimals (fractions) in that location ... on the other hand, "float" locations (such as F8:0) can handle decimal numbers ...

take a look at how I handled the "decimal" portions of numbers in this post ... the concepts might be helpful in your situation ...

I'd write more but I'm tied up this week ... I hope this helps ...

sheirj said:
...but when I use ACI string to integer command I only get the 10's and ones's column, I can't get the tenths or hundreths values.

This happens because the ACI instruction starts at a given point and pulls in numeric characters to convert until it gets a NON-numeric character. This non-numeric character stops the data gathering and starts the conversion.

The string instruction repertoire is a bit sparse but it is capable of doing about anything you need when laid out in the right combinations.

Hey Ron,

I thought you might chime in. This is the same ascii project you have been helping me with so far. I have learned a great deal and want to make sure I thank you. Some of the settings that have given me problems are the flow control setting in hyper terminal must be set to none. Mine was set to hardware. Nothing I have read has mentioned that, I just stumbled on it by continuing to try different things. Also, ascii read line must see the termination charactors defined on channel 0. My controller uses EOT which in hex is \04 not a cr lf.
Finally the controller CTS terminal must be set high, above 6 volts or it won't send.
I know that you mentioned you were busy but I can't open parse.zip on your post. It sounds like what I am looking for. I will continue to try on my own.

Thanks again
Sheirj