Add PowerFlex-700 in RSLogix 5000

daniyal

Dear All,

I am intermediate to using the RSLogix500. My project is concerned to add PowerFlex 700 drive that is communicating over ControlNet Redundant Media 20-COMM-C module. It is requested that kindly guide me the procedure how to give commands to change Frequency and Start or Stop the drive and display the Alarms regarding Motors and Communication Disconnection by using the Tags in RSlogix5000. it is easy to understand if images past of above guide.

Thanks

MD

Is it 500 or 5000?!
First, set the 20-COMM-E comms adapter node address switches to the intended setting; connect it to yor ControlNet network.
For Logix systems, within your RSL5K project hardware tree, right-click the ControlNet network beneath the targeted 1756-CNBR bridge and choose New Module/Drives- Pick the at-hand VFD ensuring that you are matching the type, ratings and the comms adapter type.
After the module configuration dialog box appears, enter all the relevant information (name, ratings and firmware level, node #, RPI, etc.)and OK it.
For software/firmware revisions 16 or lower, the above steps have to be taken using the Offline RSL5K project file. When done compiling, it will have to be downloaded to the controller.
For revision 17 or higher, you could add the drive while Online with the controller.
Once the drive module is added to the hardware tree, all the VFD's status and command tags are automatically added to the project's controller tags database. Ladder logic addressing the respective tags will implement the CPU/VFD control.
After the drive's addition to the Online project, you will have to schedule the VFD's connection within the CNet Network's Keeper mapping image if the network is a "scheduled" type one.
Online with the controller, within the hardware tree, right-click the lowest node number device (most likely the above mentioned 1756 CNet bridge), choose Properties and then pick the RSNetworx tab of the module's configuration window. Choose the "Schedule" radio button and OK it.
Be aware that the scheduling will require the CPU to be switched to Program Mode and that all the functional application's nodes should be powered up and active.
The RSNetworx utility will re-schedule the newly configured system within the user defined NUT (Network Update Time).
The scheduling part of the configuration is a pretty delicate operation; mistakes could take the entire system down and user interfacing is not as intuitive as some more modern protocols' handling is.
I would study first:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/20comm-um003_-en-p.pdf
and
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/cnet-um001_-en-p.pdf

before attempting any ControlNet system re-configuration.

Last edited: