Addin remote genius blocks to an existing bus.

diginewbee

Supporting Member
I am automating for remote control a gas supply valve. This will be done with a SCADAPACK RTU. This valve is upstream of a compressor station that wants to know status and analog inputs of my valve. Their SCADA is a GE Fanuc 90 30. I will need to add 1 DI Genius Block and 1 AI Genius Block to send status and 4-20ma from my field devices. My RTU location is about 400' from the compressor stations SCADA cabinet.
Will I need a GCM+ communications module at my RTU (along with the Genius Blocks)and send the data back to the compressor station SCADA cabinet?

Last edited:
I don't know anything about SCADAPACK. Does it support Genius communications?
As long as there is room on the existing Genius bus for two additional blocks, you can modify the existing 90-30 hardware configuration to add them. Their data will show up in the 90-30 at whatever address you assign to the new blocks. Then you can read that data over whatever communications protocol and media that the 90-30 and SCADAPACK have in common.

The SCADAPack will not be communicating with the PLC. I will be paralleling the DI and AI signals from the field devices directly to the Genius Blocks and RTU. The compressor station doesn't want control over the RTU just status of the valve itself. There is room on the bus for additional I/O I'm concerned about the distance when I set up a remote backplane. I was reading the station architecture and it appears that I need the GCM+ or does that apply only if I need a remote PLC?

Ok I will see what I can do here. SCADA PACK is hardware from Control Microsystems. Isagraf is the software we use with it.

Actually they are owned by Schneider Electric now.

http://www.schneider-electric.com/p...rt-rtu/61247-scadapack-100-300-32/?BUSINESS=1

You can parallel the Digital input but not a 4-20ma input, I would recommend a signal isolator for the analog, one side for the SCADAPack the other side to your GE system.

Make sure your wiring is big enough for the distance and noise free.

And I know nothing about a GE PLC.

Last edited:
The distance should not be a problem. The Genius network cable is good for up to 7500 feet depending on cable type and baud rate. All devices on the network have to be at the same baud rate and you must use the same type of cable throughout the network. You can't just drop additional Genius blocks onto the network. The individual drops have to be configured and the Genius Bus Controller in the 90-30 has to be configured to expect to see the new blocks you're planning to add. Does the existing site have a Genius Handheld Monitor to configure the new blocks and software to configure the 90-30?
I don't see any particular problem in paralleling the discrete inputs. The 4-20 mA signals will have to be in series. Make sure the analog transmitters can handle the burden of two receivers.

Thank you it sounds as if you have a good picture of it now. I am scanning in a couple of sketches and as soon as I learn how to attach them here I will respond. I am visiting the site tomorrow and will know then more about what they have. It is a primary secondary PLC system with 8 bus controllers on each for redundancy. To bad I can't send the architecture without violating company security. Thanks I appreciate the assistance.

Adding devices to a redundant system can get tricky. Make sure there is someone at the site who already knows how to do it and get that person to commit to adding the new blocks to the existing system. As familiar as I am with GE products, if I had your job I'd approach this one cautiously.

Indeed, I have the Station Controls Engineer and my office Senior Controls Engineering in the loop on all of this. However, they are letting me research it rather than spoon feeding me. Hence I've done some research, initiated a PHA, looked at the station, came here etc. My experience as a junior engineer is with the SCADA PACK. A little nerve racking starting my first PLC experience at a major transmission backbone.