Again and again. How to start?

Ken,

Just a little curious, been looking a your device control, I realize this maybe something you just throw together for Alex. What I'm curious about is in the ladder use use N7:0 value to control the colors of auto, run and fault. In rung 0000 you have the possiblity of setting N7:0/4, 5 and 15, this will change the value in word N7:0 away from your Auto and Run colors won't it.

Just curious, just like to know if I'm missing something.

Martin,
Yes, it was something I " threw " together. The actual bit addresses I use are slightly different. But for the example I shouldn't have used bit 15, to avoid the negative values. So replace bit 15 with bit 14, then:

We have a complex company color standard. Each one of the bits is a factor in the HMI color shown.

Auto and running (bits 0,1 & 14 are true,)= word value: 16387= green
manual and running(bits 2 & 14) = word value: 16388 = yellow
auto and off(bit 0)= word value 1 = gray
manual and off(all bits false) = word value 0 = dk. blue
interlocked (bit 4)= word value 16 = orange
faulted (bit 3) = word value 8 = red
disabled (bit 5) = word value 32 = lt. blue

I've simplified the explanation a little bit, because you could have the auto bit and the faulted bit at the same time, giving a different word value.
By playing around with the exact bits and values you can get pretty clear "value ranges" then in you HMI you can use these ranges.
Once you come up with a working model, you can use it over and over.

We use the same color standards across the plant, so that an operator from area 1 can transfer to area 2, glance at an HMI and know exactly what's going on.

All geen and gray is a good.

Sorry for any confusion I've created.
Guess I shouldn't have posted that code. I assumed it would enlighten rather than confuse.

sorry,
Ken

Last edited:
Ken,

Thanks for the clairification, no confusion just that I may have been missing something. I'm self taught so the more I see from others the more I learn. Neat way to keep everything uniformed.

Thanks again.