AGV - Automoated Guided Vehicle System

wow..really?1 what controller your AGV one using? PLC?

The vehicle guidance system is built in Sweden by NDC. It uses a "NDC vehicle controller" - which looks like a plc. It has a laser guidance system and uses encoders on the drives to.

The route is stored in a PC (Windows NT) and the agv collects 1 tonne pallets from 3 locations and delivers them to a pallet wrapper.

The electronic parts are very expensive and now obsolete!

Zai Jnr.
Safety systems do not seem to appear on your list. This is normally a big and expensive part of any AGV application so I would suggest you look into it.

Sounds like Guided Missile System !!

Based on what you are saying you are going to spend money to buy equipment when you have no clue what you are going to do. Answer questions please
1. What will this system transport?
2. Over what range will it transport?
3. How many units per unit time?
4. From how many sources
5. To how many destinations

Dan Bentler

1. What will this system transport?-->1 Ton Nuclear Weapon.

2. Over what range will it transport?-->Anywhere in the world.

3. How many units per unit time?-->More the merrier, but at least 10.

4. From how many sources--> Anywhere from Malasyia

5. To how many destinations--> One but with 100% accuracy

Sounds like Guided Missile System !!

1. What will this system transport?-->1 Ton Nuclear Weapon.

2. Over what range will it transport?-->Anywhere in the world.

3. How many units per unit time?-->More the merrier, but at least 10.

4. From how many sources--> Anywhere from Malasyia

5. To how many destinations--> One but with 100% accuracy

Good humor and a good thing you are in India. Here in USA we have Homeland Security and they do not take this stuff with any humor. Hmm I hear sirens. Will let you guys know how I am doing in Federal custody. Wonder what sand trap they will let me rake? Oh well it is three hots and a cot.

Dan Bentler

The vehicle guidance system is built in Sweden by NDC. It uses a "NDC vehicle controller" - which looks like a plc. It has a laser guidance system and uses encoders on the drives to.

The route is stored in a PC (Windows NT) and the agv collects 1 tonne pallets from 3 locations and delivers them to a pallet wrapper.

The electronic parts are very expensive and now obsolete!

Mr. Markie,

NDC still produce this product? I think i need to source kit AGV System. There have in market that sell this kit?

1) Navigation
i) Wired method
ii)Guide Tape
iii)Laser target navigation
iv)Gyroscopic navigation
v)Natural Feature navigation
vi)Steering Control
2) Path Decision
i) Frequency select mode
ii)Path Select Mode
iii)Magnetic Tape Mode
3) Traffic Control
i) Zone Control
ii) Fwd Sensing Control
iii) Combination Control
4) Battery Charging
i) Battery Swap
ii)Automatic/Opportunity Charging
iii)Automatic Battery Swap.

If you're going to take this path, for the love of all that is good in the world do not forget:

5)
i) Safety
ii) Safety
iii) And Safety

Most of the AGV systems that are commercially available have a plethora of safety and supervisory systems. The systems we use are from these people: http://www.elettric80.com/

If you're going to take this path, for the love of all that is good in the world do not forget:

5)
i) Safety
ii) Safety
iii) And Safety

Most of the AGV systems that are commercially available have a plethora of safety and supervisory systems. The systems we use are from these people: http://www.elettric80.com/

yup..thanx bro Jeev...Thanx for remind me..Sure, i will give this is the my first priority for our system..

Zai to be honest from what it sounds like your boss has no idea what the heck he was talking about when he asked you to program this system using a plc - - my company makes conveyor systems and robotic pick&place systems

we could probably qoute you a completely automated work cell with robotic pick&place and conveyors for a fraction of what the AGV system would cost you - not to mention your bringing in a system that no one in your factory would be familar with - have you considered replace/maintence/troubleshooting issues that might arise during the equipments lifespan?

Send me a message and we can talk about your companys requirements and see if theres maybe an easier way to do this?

Zai
I think you and your boss need to sit down and think this thru.
I think the major questions are
1. Are you in the automation business or are you in the XXXX business. Where is your expertise??
2 How soon do you need this?
3. What are cost savings when you have it working
4. What are the costs to put it in -
If you do it yourself and ASSUMING you have the ability to figure it out get all the right components do you have the money for teh learning curve AND do you have the money to pay for accidents and breakage that are a normal part of the learning curve (YES YOU WILL SCREW UP).

You have had two people offer to set your system up. They want the work. I would sure take a look at them and see what the have.
This is one of those systems that I believe you CANNOT afford to do on your own.

1. Come up with a specific list of needs and wants (tons per load, speed, travel distance, heights, safety considerations, average temperature and extreme temperatures in work area etc etc. Do not worry about time to do this you have to do it if you do it yourself OR they become part of contract.
2. Submit this list to vendors and see what they say.
3. Pick one that you are most comfortable with ie best reliabillity (NOT least cost) and have them come and do a demo.
4. Write contract with all performance needs and wants.
5. Authorize work
6. Install
7. Test to each of the performance criteria in contract.
8. Pay for satisfactory completion of each performance criteria.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Zai to be honest from what it sounds like your boss has no idea what the heck he was talking about when he asked you to program this system using a plc - - my company makes conveyor systems and robotic pick&place systems

we could probably qoute you a completely automated work cell with robotic pick&place and conveyors for a fraction of what the AGV system would cost you - not to mention your bringing in a system that no one in your factory would be familar with - have you considered replace/maintence/troubleshooting issues that might arise during the equipments lifespan?

Send me a message and we can talk about your companys requirements and see if theres maybe an easier way to do this?

Dear Controls_Engineer79,

Well, my work field is same with what you have done now. We can design and programming ourselves with such system that you inform. Our company have expertise in design and programming the conveyor, robotics,lifter , jigs etc...AGV is one product we try to develop in our system that will supply to customer. Maybe, its look like horrible and nonsense when my boss ask me to develop AGV system using PLC programming 💀...but he said, costing and budget for the project no need to think..my task is just sourcing and study how to do..(y)

Zai
I think you and your boss need to sit down and think this thru.
I think the major questions are
1. Are you in the automation business or are you in the XXXX business. Where is your expertise??
2 How soon do you need this?
3. What are cost savings when you have it working
4. What are the costs to put it in -
If you do it yourself and ASSUMING you have the ability to figure it out get all the right components do you have the money for teh learning curve AND do you have the money to pay for accidents and breakage that are a normal part of the learning curve (YES YOU WILL SCREW UP).

You have had two people offer to set your system up. They want the work. I would sure take a look at them and see what the have.
This is one of those systems that I believe you CANNOT afford to do on your own.

1. Come up with a specific list of needs and wants (tons per load, speed, travel distance, heights, safety considerations, average temperature and extreme temperatures in work area etc etc. Do not worry about time to do this you have to do it if you do it yourself OR they become part of contract.
2. Submit this list to vendors and see what they say.
3. Pick one that you are most comfortable with ie best reliabillity (NOT least cost) and have them come and do a demo.
4. Write contract with all performance needs and wants.
5. Authorize work
6. Install
7. Test to each of the performance criteria in contract.
8. Pay for satisfactory completion of each performance criteria.

Dan Bentler

Dear Mr Dan,

Thanx a lot for question and suggestion.I'm really appreciate.🍻.. I think all the answer already reply at control engineer79 quote...

We have agv versions using Siemens 300 (IM151) plc's so its definitely possible. The really old version ran with Siemens S5 controllers.

Wow!!! that's great!!! Thanx a lot for your info Mr Bratt..So nothing is impossible if we want to do something with full of our commitment and enthusiasm.:p

Mr Bratt,
May I know, what method that your AGV system using for navigation?

Last edited:
Mr Bratt,
May I know, what method that your AGV system using for navigation?

The floor has a guide wire cut down into it and the AGV has an antenna. If your AGV should be in a location where there are less obstacles you can use something like this

Last edited:
The floor has a guide wire cut down into it and the AGV has an antenna. If your AGV should be in a location where there are less obstacles you can use something like this

Dear Mr. Bratt,

Thanx a lot for your info..

The floor has a guide wire cut down into it and the AGV has an antenna.

You said your AGV have antenna? What this antenna function? Or maybe this antenna function to detect radio frequency being transmitted from the wire and follow it..I'm rite?

Last edited: