Alarm History from Fanuc R-30iB for Ethernet I/P

I want to be able to read and show 5 latest Alarm messages from the Fanuc R30-iB robots to an Indusoft Web Studio 8.0 HMI. Does anyone have experience with this. I can program the Fanuc with the programming pendent. The Robots are communicating with Rexroth MLC45 using Ethernet I/P already. Can I add the alarm messages to the data exchanged between the MLC and the robot?:unsure:

I configure the robot user alarms to digital outputs that are inputs to my plc. Then my PLC just triggers the alarm messages along with all of the other PLC alarms.

I've read about reading the actual teach pendant alarm message directly but I've never done it.

I've never implemented it, but I researched using Ethernet/IP to get Fanuc error messages for a customer several years ago. I don't have any experience with the Rexroth system, so I'm not sure what is possible on that side of things.

The Fanuc Ethernet/IP Setup and Operations Manual (MAROC77EN01101E Rev H) has the information you're looking for.

You have to use explicit messaging, but you can get what appears to be all of the information that is displayed on the teach pendant.

You can get the last 5 active alarms or the last 5 alarms in the history. Each of the 5 alarms needs its own message or messages depending on which data you want to transfer. There is a total of 228 bytes of available data for each alarm, but you can pick and choose. They provide everything from alarm code to the readable messages.

My access to Fanuc's documentation is on their password protected website, so I can't send you the document, but I can help you through the explicit messaging parameters, if needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses tspisak, and Picklemon, both seem to be viable options. I have a Ethernet connection with the Robot and the RexRoth PLC that is exchanging 16 input words and 16 output words. Is there a way that I can map the error message text to some of these Inputs?:unsure:

I am doing this via explicit messaging with a CompactLogix PLC but I will have to get the specifics for you tomorrow. I'm not sure it will give you what you want, but it's something.

Last edited:
Here is my message configuration. This particular message captures the top-most alarm message. For each of the previous four, simply create another message instruction, use the same values except change the "Instance" value from 1, to 2 - 5, respectively, and then assign a unique STRING storage tag.

Capture.JPG