Allen Bradley PLC alternatives

We have a negotiated pricing agreement with RA this provided stability across their product line. Some products like I.C. have big multipliers others like Software not so much. But in any case has worked for us.
This needs to involve local vendor and RA rep.

Automation direct seems to be the go to whenever anyone asks for cheap PLCs. I know they have a bunch of different lines, so I would assume that would one be at least at a compactlogix level. I'm sure someone else will chime in with what's right.

The Productivity Series of PLC's would be one to look at. This includes the P1000, P2000 and P3000.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/overview/catalog/programmable_controllers/productivity_series_controllers

Regards,

The Productivity Series of PLC's would be one to look at. This includes the P1000, P2000 and P3000.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/overview/catalog/programmable_controllers/productivity_series_controllers

Regards,
Actually, you have all the range of PLCs with the Productivity series. Well, maybe you won't get the power of the latest multiprocessor CompactLogix and ControlLogix.
The Productivity 1000 series is equivalent to the AD Click and AB Micro800. I had a discussion when the Productivity 1000 was launched, because for me it would "kill" the Click. However, it seems like AutomationDirect likes to have overlapping PLC series (they are from different manufacturers).

Going back to Productivity, one of the neat things is that you can use the same software all the way from the small 1000 up to the powerful 3000.
Like I said in a previous post, the software now offers UDS (User Defined Structures, the equivalent to AB UDTs).

I don't know how well the Productivity series handles motion, and/or how good is the AD motion hardware (servodrives, etc.).

Thanks for the feedback.

Siemens seems like the runner up as far as name recognition. What price factor are you getting, compared to AB? I'd be afraid to make a switch to Siemens and then in a few years they are like AB.

The Productivity 2000 caught my eye. AD is always going to be hard to beat on price and hopefully they have the reliability....

As far as Micros, I've used some of the Micro820's recently. CCW is better software than it used to be but still seems overly complicated for no more than a smart relay. TECO are much simpler....

As far as HMI's, my go to is Weintek but if a customer specifies something, its always a Panelview.

I'd be afraid to make a switch to Siemens and then in a few years they are like AB.

That is always a risk... but they are already larger than Rockwell and still cheaper on a lot of hardware and software. There's also the fact that a lot of companies make Profinet or Profibus devices whilst the same can't quite be said for Rockwell's protocols.

Thanks for the feedback.
As far as Micros, I've used some of the Micro820's recently. CCW is better software than it used to be but still seems overly complicated for no more than a smart relay. TECO are much simpler....
I'd use the Productivity1000 or the Click (in that order) any day of the week, before using a Micro800.

Bob, The 820 is a Ethernet PLC for 250 bucks... how much cheaper should it be? I agree with you on the software, but here the developer is 165 a year and compared to the others thats cheap.

Eaton EASY-E4-UC-12RC1
12/24DC or 24AC Supply
8IN/4RELAY OUT
Ethernet Programming & Modbus slave
Micro SD for datalogging / program / firmware update
Expandable
LCD screen with 3 color back light
UDTs
LD, ST and FB Programming
$135 List Price

-----
There are some serious limitations
No Floating Point
No Real time clock (yet)
Software somewhat clunky & small fee for purchase (Easysoft 7 $40).

<DISCLAIMER I work for a distributor that sells Eaton products>

A few comments.

Can you simply switch to a less expensive I/O platform and keep the same CPU?

I've used the Siemens S7-1200. I'm not a Siemens fanboy but if I had to pick something to replace A/B, it would be my choice.

I did use a newer Automation Direct PLC (customer spec, believe it or not) a couple years ago and the software has come a long way.

Also, try to find out who your Rockwell guy is and work on developing that relationship. Get your outside guy at the distributor involved. We have a young Rockwell guy who is really hungry and has been going to bat for us on price and getting stable agreements set up.

Last edited:
Depending on which Weintek you're already using, it was only like like $30 to add CODESYS to it. Looks like they now support EtherCAT IO which is blindingly fast. Invest the savings from the first one in some training to avoid the few frustrations starting out with CODESYS.