Allen Bradley PLC SLC-5/05, CompactLogix, ControlLogix

Andy2

Guys,

I am new in Allen Bradley PLCs, I need to setup the "Path to PLC Processor Module" in an OPC server configuration for each of my equipment (I am using Matrikon OPC Server), how can I find out the full path per PLC (SLC-5/05, CompactLogix and ControlLogix), feel free to be very detailed.

Thx.

If it's on an ethernet network and you just need to know the IP address of all your networked devices, use the AB software RSLinx to see your devices. Or if they are new enough the ethernet modules display the IP address. Not familiar with what kind of network you have but usually someone keeps an inventory of all of the used IP addresses.

Thx Martitni, but isn't the path name is a collection of Route, CPU moduleID (where Route is Module.Rack#, Target Device Net#) ?

PLC-5E, SLC-5/05, and MicroLogix controllers with Ethernet only need the IP address of the controller's Ethernet port designated.

Because ControlLogix CPUs can be in any slot of the chassis, the communication "path" needs to include the backplane (usually just called Port 1) and the Slot number of the controller (most controllers are placed in Slot 0).

Matrikon's syntax may be different from that used with RSLinx or Kepware. Your best answers will come from them.

RSLinx will not display SLC 5/05 after attempting connection from RSLogix 500

Hello Everyone,

After successfully configuring in RSLinx my Ethernet IP driver and being able to connect and download my PLC program to an SLC 5/05 L553. RSLinx displays SLC 5/05 WRAPPER; where WRAPPER is the Program name.

However when I try to connect sometimes after a successful download and after being able to go online with the SLC 5/05.

I suddenly loose communication usually on trying to connect and RSLinx diplays SLC 5/05 Default. The CPU fault LED flashes, and I usually end up reloading the application serially using DF-1
What could be causing this issue, am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help

Do you have the ability to use BOOTP utility to assign the physical AB processor a IP address based on its BOOTP request. This should allow you to know what IP it is exactly. Then when you try to connect to it you will know the correct path.

Do you have the ability to use BOOTP utility to assign the physical AB processor a IP address based on its BOOTP request. This should allow you to know what IP it is exactly. Then when you try to connect to it you will know the correct path.
Hello CheezyMane13,
I work in a large corporation with highly regulated install / uninstall rules that are strictly enforced.
I could conceivable install or more precisely have someone from the IT department install BOOTP under my guidance, it will take sometimes that is primarily defined by our IT department i.e. out of my control.
Also I cannot install Wireshark or any other port sniffer.
Could you provide a link to a good tutorial or PDF file on how to configure / use BOOTP?
Thanks so much for your support.
Mohoch Megabar