Allen Bradley Relay with surge suppressor - ADL1

radfahrer

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone used the Allen Bradley 700-HC relays with the 700-HN104 bases which have the slot for accessories? I tried using some on a recent project, we had bought the 700-ADL1 diode to plug into it, but it flat out didn't work. The ADL1 part is keyed so it only goes in the socket one way, and we double checked that we had the polarity right and voltage on the coil (24VDC)...the relay worked fine when the accessory wasn't plugged in, but when we plugged it in, we got nothing...no light on the relay or diode, no click.

We did a quick test of trying with just the accessory plugged in and not the relay itself, and that shorted it out and blew a fuse. So somehow when the relay gets plugged in, it changes the connections of the accessory slot on that relay socket base.

We're really scratching our heads on this one, seems like a simple thing. In the end I just didn't use the accessory.

I actually wanted surge suppression on the contact side for this application - driving some big solenoids, and thought the ADL1 would do that, but then after getting the part, found out it is just suppression on the coil of the AB relay itself, which isn't that big of a load to begin with, so not sure the value it adds.

Any help in solving this mystery appreciated...

... found out it is just suppression on the coil of the AB relay itself, which isn't that big of a load to begin with, so not sure the value it adds.

Sorry, I can't help solve the mystery of the apparent backwards connected diode, but the flyback EMF created when you turn power off to the coil can damage any transistor driving the coil, so if that's what you have you should consider getting one connected up.