Voltage leak on Allen Bradley A/C relay output modules

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
I can't seem to find the answer to this in search. When I'm troubleshooting a faulty 120v valve that is controlled by an A/C relay output module on a Controllogix rack, why do I get 72v when the contact is not closed? Is this the normal "off" condition for A/C relay output?

I can't seem to find the answer to this in search. When I'm troubleshooting a faulty 120v valve that is controlled by an A/C relay output module on a Controllogix rack, why do I get 72v when the contact is not closed? Is this the normal "off" condition for A/C relay output?

Relay output modules have surge suppressors across the contacts, so although they don't exhibit as much leakage current as does a triac output, some leakage is normal.

Relay output modules have surge suppressors across the contacts, so although they don't exhibit as much leakage current as does a triac output, some leakage is normal.

So what I'm measuring is the voltage across the surge suppressor. When a load is present it doesn't draw enough current to actuate anything but it's not 0.

So what I'm measuring is the voltage across the surge suppressor. When a load is present it doesn't draw enough current to actuate anything but it's not 0.

That surprises a lot of electricians, because they assume a "dry contact" in a relay output module, but that's not really the case. Only a high impedance meter will read a voltage from the bleed current of the surge suppressors.

if you are seeing 70 volts on an output that's off then you do not have a load on it any lamp or solenoid would pull it down
your volt meter will only load the output by a few micro amps. most meters in us today have an input impedance of a 100 meg ohms
check the wiring to the solenoid for an open

High impedance DMM’s will show the leakage and as stated above will not draw it down. You can use a solenoid meter like a Wiggy, just be careful with them.

if you are seeing 70 volts on an output that's off then you do not have a load on it any lamp or solenoid would pull it down
your volt meter will only load the output by a few micro amps. most meters in us today have an input impedance of a 100 meg ohms
check the wiring to the solenoid for an open

This makes sense. Like I said, we were troubleshooting a faulty valve, and it seems to be a broken connection between the output and the valve. I've noticed this on other modules around the plant and it's almost always 72v. I'm using a Fluke DMM.

So in the future, if there is a load present on the output, I should be reading 0 volts. If there is voltage present, it means there is no load, so I should be checking fuses, terminals, and the load itself.

This will be helpful in the future with troubleshooting. Thanks!

I have been doing this for 40+ years
I don't mean to put anybody down but when trouble shooting always start with the basics
and then expand

High impedance DMM’s will show the leakage and as stated above will not draw it down. You can use a solenoid meter like a Wiggy, just be careful with them.

In. Pinch you can make a tester from a pilot light with an incandescent bulb. It should not light up with the output off.