Alternate to Fischer Porter System

Xeones

X
I'm trying to come up with a small DCS system based upon a Fischer-Porter system. System consists of a supervisory PC Op Station with 10 PID controllers. Each controller (unknown type) seems to have about 36 I/O for everything from chart recorders to I/P control for valves.

My question is:

I want to find a simple alternate to this system (low cost) and am consindering using the "Think & Do" software from AutomationDirect but am unsure about the controllers to use....any suggestions?

If you are going to tear out the F-P DCS equipment, then you have lots of good choices. I am assuming the intent is to go with a PLC based system. The AutomationDirect.com PLCs (maybe even the DL-06 or DL-05 depending on I/O used) are a good selection, and you can use their operator interfaces to display the same data as the F-P controllers. You could use the small Allen Bradley Micrologix or the GE VersaMax as well.

If you are going to a PLC based system, with the logic and control spread out arond the plant, you might want to consider Lookout instead of Think and Do since the control is in the PLCs. If you are going to use dumb remote I/O with teh logic in your PC then Think and Do may be the best choice.

If you want to keep individual single loop controllers (although why you would is beyond me) then you still have lots of choices, from Bristol Babcock to Red Lion.

If you want to keep some of the F-P stuff your choices are more restricted. The native F-P communication system was, I believe, proprietary. However, I think they have Modbus RTU available, and I worked on a system in Boise Idaho that actually wrote their own drivers to make the F-P conrollers talk Allen Bradley DH+.

Thanks

Tom:
Thanks for the reply:

1. I will be installing all new - no F&P at all.

Are you saying that I could get away without using the PC Op Station with the Think & Do software and just use the PLC with a touchscreen?
(You see, my problem is, I'm a vfd guy by trade, and am not used to dealing with process control schemes, I'm just all they have here at the moment)

So I guess the hitch are these controllers.... I mean I can see some serial inputs on these as well - should I send a fax of the drawing of the face of one of these to Automation Direct or something to make sure they have a PLC with the same capabilities?

I am guessing that your existing system architecture is several F-P single loop controllers tied with a serial communications link to SCADA software running on a PC. The PC based SCADA software is probably what I call a "leg saver" system. Instead of having to run around the plant with a clipboard to log operating data, and having to acknowledge alarms and tune the controls at each individual station, the operator can do these functions at the PC.

You can provide the equivalent local control using a micro-PLC at the location of each F-P controller, perhaps combining the functions of several F-P units in one PLC. That is a function of the I/O and logic being used on each F-P controller and the I/O available on the PLCs.

The F-P also displays data on the faceplate. This function can be handled by a touchscreen (like the EZ-Touch in the AutomationDirect.com catalog or an Allen Bradley PanelView or a GE QuickPanel). Sometimes you can network one panel to several PLCs.

If the operator wants to keep the convenience of the SCADA software on the PC you can network the PLCs to the PC and run ThinkandDo or Lookout or WonderWare on the PC and link it to the PLCs. If you have two ports on each PLC or the right protocol you can use the PC and the local touchscreens.

You should start talking to the tech support at your chosen supplier about the details. Put together a point list of all the I/O, a Process and Instrumentation Diagram showing the control loops and the equipment, and a block digram showing the control equipment and the communications link. Add a list of required features (like trending, reporting, disk access etc.) and you are ready to get your vendor involved.

If this is your first project, AutomatinDirect.com may not be the best choice. I love their products and service, but if you are "green as grass" you probably need somebody local physically there to hold your hand and help out. Some WESCO branches can do that for AutomationDirect products, but if you can't get that support locally then GE would be my first suggestion because they offer a lot of bang for the buck and generally have good support. Allen Bradley may be the next best because they also have good local support, but at a higher price and often a steeper learning curve.

Tom:

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me!
At least now I can see a clear path down which to begin my journey...
Thank you so much for your detailed and insightful response - I will follow your advice to the letter.

Xeones