Andon Lights

themaninwi

I have been tasked with outfitting our facility with Andon lights. For those not familur Andon lights are a used in lean mfg. methodology to communicate the state of the cell with a tree light or strobe. Each color meaning maintenance, inspection needed, etc. Most of the machines are relay logic machine and some are just stand alone areas with no existing controls. I am considering using a PLC to monitor the system and provide a central monitoring station. My question is how far can I run sensors? Most likly 24vdc. I plan on using a Horner plc which has the capability to act as a web server. I am hoping to output the status of each area to the webpage so the appropriate persons can check in on the status of each area if they are not on the floor. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Lean ANdon Lights

For the areas with no automation, you may want to look at just putting the andon light on a switch the operator turns on. Remember, in the Lean world, they don't like things to be automatic then no one may know it came on. They like to have operator interation.

Aomething else, use the LED lights. They are more expensive but tend to be brighter and last much longer than the incandescent bulbs.

Todd.

I started a project doing andon lights, they wanted exactly what you are describing after getting a quote on how much it's going to cost they changed they're mind and asked to install indipendent towers in each area with 120vac light, horn and a pull switch but after 1 week no one was using it.They're just sitting there collecting dust. I have spare parts that never got used.

Thanks for the ideas. For the most part I think I am going to use a just a simple stack light and three position switch to turn each of the lights on. One is to call the inspector and one is for the supervisor. I only want the PLC to monitor the status of each cell so it can be monitored by the supervisor from the office if they are in the middle of a meeting or doing paperwork.

Our plant is about 50,000 sq ft and has about 9 different departments. We also have a firewall that splits the plant almost in half. This adds to some visablity problems since there is only a 10 foot door for all traffic to go through.

I don't want to make a system that is too expensive in case it does not get used. But I think it will get used. The future owner of the company(currently son of owner) wants it installed. We have been evaluating the Andon as well as an Overall Equiptment Effectivness system for some time. I would like to take the andon system and expand it to provide machine uptime as well as piece count to the supervisors and schedulers.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

GGH said:
...but after 1 week no one was using it.They're just sitting there collecting dust.
This is where management fell down. As soon as that first operator stopped using it, they should have been on him like white on rice. Everything has to work together like Spokes on a wheel.

Boiler Todd's recommendation for LED is a good one.
Saves a lot of headaches down the road.

Yes this change is driven by management they do a pretty good job of staying on the people here to use the systems put in place. If they dont they wont like their reviews at the end of the year. I was looking into the led lights as well as the banner easy light. They are led I think and they can show differnt colors as well as flash them if needed they are also under $100 compared to the cheapest 2 level stack light around $120.

In one of our plants, we tested the Banner lights. They are meant for bin picking and are more visible to someone who is close. In order to display various colors, you have to combine signals to the lamp.

If you want to have your lights visible from a distance, use the LED stack lights. They may cost more, but you will be happier in the long run.

The other thing to consider is people who are color-blind. With stack lights, they are separate, so someone would know the difference. With the Banner lights, it is all in one.

Andon also can incorporate starved, blocked, auto, not-in-auto, etc. Its been around a while and most of the machinery we ship to the big 3 auto mfgs require it.

dYoast, thanks for your input. I was unsure of the visability from a distance with the ezlights. I will go with the led stacks.

Thanks again.

This is sort of off-topic, but I'll post this in case your leaders ask for music to go with the lights.

We use Andon here as well, but along with the lights, we use horns that will play a tune as defined by the switch settings (16 pin DIP package, 8 single pole switches).

Rather than use a different horn for each tune, we designed a PCB that would allow us to multiplex the horns. This way we get the equivalent of four horns for one horn + a ~$40 board.

Anf we fire the horns off with the lights so no extra I/O was needed.

Hmmm.

The idea is interesting, but how high are these lights?

We use a PA system, and page the people we need to the area. Maintenance employees and my guys and I (electricians) wear radios so we can talk to each other. 90% of the time I'm in a place where I would not be able to see any lights around the shop.

It seems difficult for any light to be seen or noise to be heard clear across a busy industrial shop.

I could see them being useful for small sections, to let a dedicated maintenance or supervisor to see what the status of the machines around him/her is... but not so much as a plant wide indication.

Tharon said:
Hmmm.

The idea is interesting, but how high are these lights?

Bottom of the red-iron (near the ceiling).

Tharon said:
It seems difficult for any light to be seen or noise to be heard clear across a busy industrial shop.

It's cranked to 11. :)

Tharon said:
I could see them being useful for small sections, to let a dedicated maintenance or supervisor to see what the status of the machines around him/her is... but not so much as a plant wide indication.

Yes, each area has its own system. Like you said, there would be no way to hear it much further that four or so bays away (although my ears have seen better days :) )