Another FactoryTalk Directory question

40mpg

Hello all,

I have an example scenario

1. Host serving FactoryTalk Directory server is on 10.125.54.32

2. Client 1 is on host 10.125.54.33 , points to the directory on .32 OK.

3. Client 2 is on host 10.115.24.19, I want to point this to the directory server on .32

Client 2 can ping the FactoryTalk Directory server on .32 fine and vice versa

Client 2 FactoryTalk version is same as the Directory Server

I have been trying and failing to "Specify" Client 2 to use the directory on the server...do I have to put Client 2 on the same subnet as the server? or IT can do routing magic on the network?

P.S Rockwell document says port 7710 is used for FactoryTalk Directory Server, but when I look at ports in listening I don't see any entries for port 7710 on the server. Am I interpreting the port number usage correctly?

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have an example scenario

1. Host serving FactoryTalk Directory server is on 10.125.54.32

2. Client 1 is on host 10.125.54.33 , points to the directory on .32 OK.

3. Client 2 is on host 10.115.24.19, I want to point this to the directory server on .32

Client 2 can ping the FactoryTalk Directory server on .32 fine and vice versa

Client 2 FactoryTalk version is same as the Directory Server

I have been trying and failing to "Specify" Client 2 to use the directory on the server...do I have to put Client 2 on the same subnet as the server? or IT can do routing magic on the network?

P.S Rockwell document says port 7710 is used for FactoryTalk Directory Server, but when I look at ports in listening I don't see any entries for port 7710 on the server. Am I interpreting the port number usage correctly?

Thank you all!

Hello 40mpg!

As long as ping is responding, you should have routing enabled on those subnets already. Further ports might be blocked, but really the best way to check for open on a remote PC is to do:

Code:
Telnet hostname portname

What's the error message that shows up on your PC? Are the versions of the factorytalk Services Platform the same?