Another Learning Curve Coming!

Soggy Canuck

Lifetime Supporting Member
A customer of mine owns a pair of Italian injection molders. These are controlled by S5 plc's with some specialized profiling cards. The customer became concerned when a power supply failed on one of the plc's and there was none available from the local supplier.
Fast forward to this morning, the customer calls me to announce that his "buddy" from Italy is onsite and ripping out the S5's and replacing them with MOOG controllers.

Does anyone here have any hints on where to start learning about these?

I will be expected to maintain and/or modify these when "buddy" leaves. He speaks minimal English and I speak even more minimal Italian.

PS: I have zero exposure to CODESYS

You may not be in as bad as you think
A few years ago I had a client that had an Italian wrapping machine that was giving them trouble the software was proprietary for the machine and no US distributer.
I emails the support people in Italy that process takes 24 hours each time so it was days but they were very helpful and knowledgeable. they sent me a copy of both the program code and programming software for free and provided me with all the information I needed to fix the problem.
you just have to deal with the time lag with email support.
If I remember correctly I think the problem was traced to bug in the original program they sent me the upgraded code and no other problems.
That client finely went out of business and sold off the machine.
Good luck