Another PCL IO fusing question

11point

I am looking to fuse only the commons of my IO cards to protect the plc. Each input point is rated at 6.5 mA with a total of four points, in order to avoided unwanted tripping I will need to size a fuse to handle all four points at once which would mean a 26 mA fuse.

My question is that when fusing the common with a 26 mA fuse how is each input protected. Wouldn't this potentially allow 26 mA to flow into a single point?

At first I thought you were talking about outputs. What you describe is pretty common for outputs. Solid state discrete PLC inputs usually have a pretty high impedance and may "consume" a very small amount of current when activated.

It is a common practice have a fuse or breaker protecting the wiring and devices which may then be wired to the inputs, but it is not really necessary to do that to protect the inputs themselves.

If you have many circuits spread over a wide area that ultimately end up in the PLC panel, it can be useful to group them by location and protect each group. It can be useful to have a separate circuit for things that are of critical importance to a process so that if some other less important circuit fails and trips its protection, the PLC is still able to gather information from the things that are deemed important.

Usually when PLC inputs (talking solid state discrete inputs) fail, it is because there was some sort of a voltage problem...ie incoming spike.

Analog inputs are a different animal. a 4-20mA is often protected by a 0.063A fuse. Why? Probably because that is a readily available component that is not too close the the normal operating range of the circuit. You can find 20mA fuses but then they'd blow under normal conditions. I have seen 1a fuses used and fail in a fault condition. I have seen a transmitter fail and try to pass 120mA to an Allen Bradley analog input without any detectable harm. The data was maxed out, the sensor replaced, and all was good to go. In series with the input, I measured 44mA. Connected to my meter, it was 120mA. That case did not have individual protection on the inputs. I probably got lucky that day that the input was not damaged.

Tell us what type of PLC you are dealing with in this case...maybe my advice is off-base.

Last edited:
This is a CLICK C0-10DD2E-D. I was referring to both inputs and outputs but used the inputs as an example, sorry for the confusion.

This is a automation system for a home shop so there are no critical processes. I was only intending to protect the inputs from over current but it sounds like the high impedance takes care of that.