Anti-Tie-Down

SirCharles1

Good day all. I have a machine to automate. It is a 2-ton heat press. It moulds small plastic parts. The mould cycle is initiated after the operator "presses" two proximity sensors. The proximity sensors are wired to an anti-tie-down device (AT-GM-11KM) which only allows certain portions of the machine cycle to be initiate when the two sensors/buttons are "pressed". In the automatic mode of operation, these buttons will not be used and the machine will cycle through its operation automatically. Is anyone familiar with this device (AT-GM-11KM, made by Banner)? My intention is to install a switch that one can activate and switch between manual and automatic, and when it is in automatic mode, the proxy switches need not be pressed. Consult my pictures.

AutoManSwitch.jpg antitiedowncircled.jpg proxyswitch.jpg

Last edited:
SirCharles1,

an explaniation of what you have.
the prox sensors you refer to are actually pushbuttons.
some of them come with a n.o and n.c contacts.

the banner device you are referring to is the twohand anti tie down module.

you have not provided enough information for me to answer your question.

if you make this press automatic, who handles the parts?
how far is the press from the operator slide?
how is parts placed / removed from the press?
what does the risk accessment say?

one cannot simply automate the press as you are suggesting without being able to answer these questions. if there is the slightest possibility of someone getting hurt, then you cannot do this. your safety committee (osha here in the states) would have a field day if someone got hurt.

what does your company safety officer say?
has this been approved by corporate or are you doing this on your own?
what does your legal department say?

automated presses must be safeguarded in such a way that human interaction poses "0" risk of injury.

i know of a worker that is missing 4 fingers past the knuckle because of an automated press. the press mashed her fingers thinner than a piece of paper.

regards,
james

James asked a lot of good questions that need to be addressed, if it's to be fully automated, it sound like you will probably need to put in a light curtain to keep the operator safe when it's in the "auto" mode.

Hi

Have you carried out a risk assement on this machine as this is the correct way to tackle a job like this.

Donnchadh

SirCharles1,

an explaniation of what you have.
the prox sensors you refer to are actually pushbuttons.
some of them come with a n.o and n.c contacts.

the banner device you are referring to is the twohand anti tie down module.

you have not provided enough information for me to answer your question.

if you make this press automatic, who handles the parts?
how far is the press from the operator slide?
how is parts placed / removed from the press?
what does the risk accessment say?

one cannot simply automate the press as you are suggesting without being able to answer these questions. if there is the slightest possibility of someone getting hurt, then you cannot do this. your safety committee (osha here in the states) would have a field day if someone got hurt.

what does your company safety officer say?
has this been approved by corporate or are you doing this on your own?
what does your legal department say?

automated presses must be safeguarded in such a way that human interaction poses "0" risk of injury.

i know of a worker that is missing 4 fingers past the knuckle because of an automated press. the press mashed her fingers thinner than a piece of paper.

regards,
james

Actually, they are optical and do work well. The only promlem I have had with them is when the sensing area gets scratched up they no longer work as well. The module you pictured works well when correctly wired, but as the others have said you must assess the risk when in automatic to ensure an operator does not get hurt.