Any experience with subsea controls?

tomalbright

I got called out to fix the PCs for an ABB subsea control panel. Got those (NT!!!) working, but now there is only communication to one of the two subsea wells.

This is an ABB system, serial number "1" of course. Which means "custom". It uses a HUGE rack mounted modem assembly to talk to whatever is underwater. I don't know enough about the system to know whether or not the modem is broke, or there are more expensive problems on the end of the wire.

Manufacturer support seems to be lacking. The rep they had out last week suggested they upgrade the PCs and Wonderware, then went home with the system still not operational.

There are some comm ports for the modem, for "console" diagnostic. Of course, no docs on settings. I tried hyperterminal, but I have no idea if it needs a "special" diagnostics program.

Documentation exists, but basically is just a system description, with schematics. No technical docs at all. I can troubleshoot the circuitry only so far without knowing the "secrets" inside the modems.

I'm grasping at straws here, waiting on a callback from ABB, but hey, somebody might have run across something like this before.

Maybe. :rolleyes: