Are You On The Clock?

While at work...

• While at work, NO plcs.net! No computer, access, not allowed, or...

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • While at work, I spend most of my time at PLC.net.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • While at work, I spend most of my time working for my employer.

Votes: 102 74.5%
  • While at work, I'm the employer, so...It doesn't matter.

Votes: 23 16.8%

• Total voters
Terry Woods said:
Some people just never seem to hear what has been said... they only seem to hear what they want to hear... whether it was said, or not.

There is a decided difference between "reasonable use" and abuse. Some, apparently, don't see a difference.

Whenever I work on a large contract, I usually get the hours worked in to coming in later, and staying an hour or two after everyone else leaves.

I can get more done in those after hours then in the othe six or so. The first hour or two generally is about the game, race, or TV the night before.

I was on a project in 1999, looking online for some info on a new GE CPU module. I punched the P/N in, and a page jumped up for something called eBay. One of the "REAL" employes saw that. and watched when I hit the "other items" button. There were several PLC parts listed, along with a Rolex. Later that day, he bought that Rolex, and before long, the three "REAL" engineers were sending 5 or 6 hours a day cruising eBay.

Like with most things, abuse can happen. Those who have in the industry for 20-30 years or more, may well remember, that you went to work, in a white shirt, and skinny black tie! Long before dockers, golf shirts, and boat/deck shoes. None of which I own.

Times change, eventually people sometimes do.

At least some admit to spending most of thier time here.

My biggest complaint in a work situation, "Just leave me alone so I can get my work done!" Forget the program of the month (TQI, TQO, TQS, etc), the lottery pool, who slipped out at lunch with who, etc.

Just get the important stuph done,

First, Where are we going for lunch

Second, Let's get this work done

On the clock

I use it at work and at home. At work, I am usually looking for specific answers to specific problems. At home, I tend to just brows around and learn. PLCS.net is a valuable tool. I have found the information here as valuable, or more valuable, than the manuals or vendor sites. Employers should love to see there techs using this service.

Terry Woods said:
NO INTERNET??? OH, MY GOD!!! How in the hell can I possibly get anything done (personal or professional) without having access to the Internet???

I have to wonder... Gee... How in the hell could anything have ever gotten accomplished before the Internet!

Believe it or not... while I'm sure that some of you simply can't relate to such a concept... some of us actually grew up without the Internet! Wow! Imagine that! But then, some of you think... "Gee, no Internet? How in the hell could you have possibly have gotten anything done?"

Well... get this... we actually did accomplish things, many things... all of them before the Internet existed! DAMN! Imagine that!

Apparently, some people think they need the Internet so that they can be "smart" at their profession... and yet, as I recall, the Internet was invented by some very, very smart people... people that were never on the Internet... they didn't need the Internet to be "smart".

If you substitute the word "computer" or "light bulb" or for that matter, "electricity", for the word "internet", would you still feel the same?

:confused:

When exactly does the clock stop?

I will check randomly, when time permits.

I also have programmers that will check in from time to time. For them it is definitely not a daily trip.

Terry Woods said:
There is a decided difference between "reasonable use" and abuse. Some, apparently, don't see a difference.
Does this mean that Smoke and Mirrors Inc. has just filed chapter 9?

Terry when was the last time you had a vacation? I think you should lighten up, the 'majority' of the people on this site are here to learn or share their knowledge with others as you do, the others that are screwing off at work are not on this site or ones like (Ron's)

Before the internet you had people not doing there job and taking advantage of the employer, I am a firm believer that it will all come out in the 'wash', meaning that if someone is screwing off at work, then their boss most likely already knows or will find out in due time, it’s like any other criminal (thief stealing time = money) they will eventually get caught.

Terry Woods said:
Full Circle? Does anybody get the point?
Does this mean that Smoke and Mirrors Inc. has just filed chapter 9? Get my point?... as some rednecks here say 'boy you are singing to the choir':D

PLCRookie said:
Well... get this... we actually did accomplish things, many things... all of them before the Internet existed! DAMN! Imagine that!

The internet and sites like this are a tool--not much different than your VOM or ratcheting boxed-end set. Yes we got the job done before those things too, but look at how much easier it can be now that we have these new tools. DAMN!

Eric...

You kill me!

And I think your graphic says it all... even still, at this late date.

Ron...

My saying "... "reasonable use" and abuse..." used a couple of different grammatical tools for the purpose of stressing a point...

First...
...the statement was nothing more than a pointed amplification, in subsequent conversion, of the following...

"...if a guy is hanging at PLCnet for the answers, during working-hours, he ain't reading his own damned manuals to figure out what's going on in his own PLC, so that he he really understand his own particular PLC!"

The key-word, as I have now indicated, is "hanging".

That was directed at those for whom I have much disdain. That is, those that are simply waiting for the answers to their questions to be given to them, rather than using that "on the clock" time with resources that are normally available to actually go through the hard-knock pains of learning their own processes and their own controllers.

Now, the idea of putting quotes around "reasonable use" (Now, be aware, in this particular instance, the purpose of the quotes is to actually quote something that was previously said. However, in respect to the original use...) was nothing more, or less, than to make a point of referring to the phrase reasonable use in the commonly understood sense. In much the same way that, occasionally, you might see someone say a particular word, or phrase, while they are holding up and wiggling the first two fingers on each of their hands. This indicates an understood meaning... either well-meaning, or not.

Regarding the difference in "working time"... it is easy enough to read the text, look at the name, look at the location, and the posting time... of the several postings... to put a few clues together to make a reasonable judgement. If you deny that... hmmmm... not good Ron. After all, WE ARE IN THE BUSINESS OF LOGIC!

It makes me wonder... Who the hell signs that guy's pay-check? And what does that "who" expect in trade for that pay-check?

Second...
...without grabbing quotes and such, my other primary point was about the "Answer Givers". I'm sure they are greatly appreciated by the "Answer Seekers" (another quoted phrase that does not reflect any earlier text... do you get it yet?)

My point, in this instance, is about those that spend a lot of EMPLOYER-TIME on the net on the net answering the questions of others.

Even if "they" are the Employers... which reminds me... "Then... aren't you like... sticking it to yourself?" ... which, by extension means... to the company on the whole?

These are the ones that spend a great deal of "Business Time" answering questions for others... when they should be tending to their own company-worries. They are not "seeking" answers... they are "hanging"... "giving" answers.

Ron, I truely and honestly appreciate that you are going to college after all these years... however, you still have a long way to go before you can be a grammatical critic.

By the way... Have you taken the courses in Critical Thinking and Technical Writing that I was so adamant about? Until then... you'll have to work really hard to make a reasonable attempt to argue logic in grammer.

You did, however, make a few points regarding your comments about the "Irish-Catholic-Democrat kids" thing. But, not so with your comments as they applied to the "short-cutters" thing.

Phil, I am in no way trying to reduce your hit-rate... I'm just trying, as futile as it appears, to get these "rational thinkers" to exhibit "reasonable use".

I know it's a losing battle... but I won't give up my position.

Terry, no offense intended (and I'm sure I'll probably offend, but I really am not trying to), but I think Ron's got you on this one. In your original post you said:

Terry Woods said:
So far, I see that I am one of only two that do not hang at PLCnet while they should be doing business.

I don't know how you voted, but my conclusion looking at the poll results for the first time (not long after you posted it) was that you probably voted "While at work no PLCS.NET!"... I think that is still a safe assumption given your subsequent posts.

I think that any reasonable person would conclude that given the context of your post you we're saying that you didn't think any time should be spent looking at PLCnet while at work. If we all misunderstood you then many of the posts on the last 4 pages are irrelevant, but it could also be safely assumed that if we all misunderstood you then you failed to communicate your point effectively.

Terry Woods said:
I am under great pressure to get "on the net" but I refuse to do so simply because I feel that I owe my allegiance to my primary endeavor.

This is the comment that got me to speak up. This is like saying "I'm under great pressure to use a computer to program my PLCs, but I use a hand-held programmer and I can't use time while at work to install software on the computer, or learn to use that software because I owe my allegiance to my primary endeavor."

Like it or not, agree with it or not, want it or not, the internet is here and its not going away. I realize you already know that, but I think the part you haven't picked up on yet is that like it or not, want it or not, the internet is the most efficient way to convey information today.

Terry Woods said:
"Short-Cutters" are NOT "Process Developers".
They ain't got the Moxie!
They are Losers! They'll NEVER be "players"... at best... maybe "band-aid"ers.

This is just inflammatory.

Terry Woods said:
A lot of us Irish-Catholic-Democrat kids have really internalized the fundamental concept of the Puritan work-ethic. (look it up)

There are some that haven't quite developed that particular ethic. However, when in a controlling position, they absolutely love having guys like us working for them... after all, we make the money!

And this is my favorite. How many people that lack a good work ethic do you think actually make it to a "controlling position"??? Get real! People that make it to upper level management or own their own business (for any length of time) either have a good work ethic or don't last. I have yet to meet a single business owner or upper manager that had a lousy work ethic they simply don't exist for very long.