Arena Simulation Software

beethoven_ii

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm quoting an Allen Bradley job where the client has asked for the process to be simulated prior to installation on site and they have asked me to include in my costs for a license for them for whatever simulation software I choose to use. I have only ever used PICS PRO before for simulation which appears to be discontinued now. The client did say that would be acceptable if I can still purchase it but they also mentioned using Rockwell's own simulation software. I've done a quick search and see that their simulation package is called Arena and is available in Trial/Student, Standard or Professional Editions but I can't find an idea on cost from anywhere. I am only looking for an approximate cost for quotation purposes and don't want to contact Rockwell or a distributor just yet. Has anyone used it before and in a position to give me an rough idea on how much the licenses cost?

Typically even for budget prices, I would still contact my local AB distributor, I would just tell them who the customer is and that I'm looking for a quote for budgetary reasons.

Do what I have done many times, use the simulator that comes with RW (if you have it), then write blocks for I/O mapping (i.e. inputs to internal bits, internal bits to outputs) but do not call them, create temporary program files to do the simulation like if the mapped output of a valve energises, use a timer to delay setting the relevant valve limit. if you disable the calls to the I/O including analogues until going to site, then delete the simulation blocks & re-enable the calls to the I/O map.
Done this many times in actual fact even though some simulators are pretty good, most are not easy to get the simulation like the real world, PICS PRO was a very good package but it was expensive I have also used Prosis which was dedicated to Siemens S5 you wrote simulation code in pascal. One other possibility is to get hold of a Scada package that runs for an hour or so, again use that for the simulation but you will need to map the I/O as it probably cannot force the I/O (Inputs).

Do what I have done many times, use the simulator that comes with RW (if you have it), then write blocks for I/O mapping (i.e. inputs to internal bits, internal bits to outputs) but do not call them, create temporary program files to do the simulation like if the mapped output of a valve energises, use a timer to delay setting the relevant valve limit. if you disable the calls to the I/O including analogues until going to site, then delete the simulation blocks & re-enable the calls to the I/O map.

This is what I would recommend as well. I have simulation built in to every AOI. Makes simulating very easy.

If you use CompactLogix and Emulate it will be painful, but Emulate and ControlLogix is very easy, simply change the processor type. If you change CompactLogix to Emulate it will blast your IO away and then you are stuck with errors, assuming you use the IO in your program.

I generally map my I-O as it makes it easier for testing and in case things don't get wired where it was originally planned to be. The project I'm quoting has over 1500 digital I-O and nearly 500 analogue I-O distributed locally and on Point I-O. I think this would be a mammoth task if it's possible to configure and run it all on Emulate. Never tried anything that big on it before.