Automated machine design project

Mots,

in all fairness, hold on a second.

i understand that the mechanical design is no problem,
but here's a big mistake i see from designers. they assume the electrical people can do anything the machine designer wants.

while we can do a lot, this process is not a s simple as you design and throw it to the electrical guy to make it work.
i worked for am OEM for almost 20 years in the mechanical and electrical design.

here is my suggestion:

1. do a concept of your design and sketch it.
2. think the process through reading the specs.
3. visualize the machine operation going from step a to z.
4. where do you need sensors (part detection photos, prox
switches, and so on). how will you confirm air cylinders
art at their correct location?
5. does the part need to be held in place at all times?
6. if you loose power while the machine is in operation, what
will the pneumatics do? do you need single solonoids,
double solenoids, open or blocked center valves?

not trying to slam you in any way, just trying to inform you that the electrical guy(s) need an input on the machine design. consider this a marriage of a sort. you give and take.

it took a while for the oem i worked for to realize this after several projects that we lost a lot on. when we started working together, we made up for it.

regards,
james

James, this is exactly the information that I am looking for, thanks a lot !

One option for me would be to give the contract to a company to make this part of my machine (is that what you call an oem ?). Give them my preliminary design and ask them to improve the design and build the machine. The problem for me is the limited funds as this is a start-up.