Balluff BNI006a IO Link master shows up in "Unconnected" state inside Studio 5k.

PreLC

Balluff BNI006a IO Link master shows up in "Unconnected" state inside Studio 5k.

As Shown here: https://imgur.com/EkZWrPK

I have tried soft-rebooting the device through it's webpage, power-cycling. Since I can access it's webpage while on the same network.

This block is used with implicit messaging, so I'm getting not getting signals back and forth.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
-PreLC

The "Internal State: Unconnected" is often irrelevant to the state of the I/O connection. Look at the status of the module icon in the I/O tree and see what sort of error code shows there.

Is this a system that worked previously and has stopped working, or one that you are commissioning for the first time ?

The EDS-based Module object for the BNI is not very complex, but it does give you the correct I/O sizes for each version of the device (4-port vs. 8-port).

BNI_IOLink_Connection.PNG

The "Internal State: Unconnected" is often irrelevant to the state of the I/O connection. Look at the status of the module icon in the I/O tree and see what sort of error code shows there.

Is this a system that worked previously and has stopped working, or one that you are commissioning for the first time ?

The EDS-based Module object for the BNI is not very complex, but it does give you the correct I/O sizes for each version of the device (4-port vs. 8-port).

Hello Ken!

This is a module we commissioned recently, and it worked for a while before giving us error messages. Not sure what gave...

This is the screenshot from today, error 16#0126, but I swear that yesterday it gave error 16#00c: service request error invalid mode or state for service request.

Also, I did make sure that the size is correct, and I compared it to an identical module that we have in another part of my plant which is running good.
Regards,
4kU3aWr.png
-PreLC

If I am not mistaken you can't have the PLC and a desktop computer accessing this at the same time. We unplug our BNI006A if we need to make changes or look at it's diagnostics.

check the firmware of the working device to the non working device. I have had issues in the past with firmware on IO link masters being out of date from the factory.

"Invalid Configuration Size" generally means what it says; the controller sent a Configuration assembly to the device and the device rejected it.

In the case of these BNI devices, I believe that the Configuration data is a zero-size assembly, because the Output Assembly contains all of the configuration information for the device.

Double-check to be sure you've put the correct information into the Output assembly before the connection begins.

I recall a few instances when I was first working with these devices where they would "work one hour then not the next" but I was using so many fast-changing PLCs and adapters I didn't re-create or investigage.

The EtherNet/IP connection to these is really pretty simple, so if you can capture the traffic at startup between them with Wireshark, folks might be able to figure out the issue (especially if you can compare it to one that works correctly).

So I'm really not sure what gave, we replaced the module and it started. No other settings changed.

I didn't know how to properly use wireshark this time. I had this module connected to the plant network accessible to me through wi-fi, can I still use wireshark? Any tutorials for automation people you know of Ken?